New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just another stupid law that infringes on the 2nd amendment. It will do absolutely nothing to deter criminals from obtaining or using them. Just look at the safe act and how that has done nothing to lower crime. Liberals and democrats can't get it thru thier thick skulls that criminals DO NOT obey laws. Cant wait to get out of this shit hole state.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just another stupid law that infringes on the 2nd amendment. It will do absolutely nothing to deter criminals from obtaining or using them. Just look at the safe act and how that has done nothing to lower crime. Liberals and democrats can't get it thru thier thick skulls that criminals DO NOT obey laws. Cant wait to get out of this shit hole state.
me too!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I registered a boat and trailer yesterday.

Listed all the serial numbers for the hull, engine, etc. My email, cell #, mailing address, "address where you live."

I cannot imagine doing all that for a firearm. Nope, nope, nope.

In any case, didn't SAFE already do this? afaik all ARs already must be registered.

Just more incrementalism and death by 1000 papercuts on this never ending slippery slope.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have we heard yet if this insane law affects existing owners, or only those planning to purchase a semi-auto rifle in the future? In other words, are they crazy enough to directly violate the Constitution with a clear "ex post facto law," making millions of honest citizens criminals by the waving of a pen?

I know guys who either sold off their rifles or gave them away to relatives in other states when the "SAFE Act" was passed. Are we gonna be iin the same situation all over again, even with locked mags or "featureless" ARs?

Thanks and be safe.

·
Registered
65 Posts
What’s everyone’s opinion on hochuls minions bill introduced to make semi auto rifles the same way as a pistol in NY. Meaning you need to register it and have a permit for it
It sucks but could be worse I guess. It’s not fair to all the people who wanna buy semi auto rifles that don’t have a permit. I’m definitely stocking up on some lowers before it goes into effect.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Why is it OK for a Boat ??
In NYS you only need to register a vehicle that will be on the public roads/trails/waters. If your boat, car, trailer, snowmobile, whatever, is never being used on public property in NY then you don't need to register it in NY.

It sucks but could be worse I guess. It’s not fair to all the people who wanna buy semi auto rifles that don’t have a permit. I’m definitely stocking up on some lowers before it goes into effect.
I thought it went in effect on 6/6 or 6/7 @ 10am. No grace period.

If the supreme court goes against NY in the handgun case I wonder if the rifle license will automatically be moot too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Isn't the permit for purchasing? I recall the text of the bill stating it was explicitly for "purchasing" semi-autos, not owning. In other words, not like our pistol permits where each gun is registered to that permit. You just need the semi-auto permit to purchase a semi-auto rifle in NYS. You can still buy out of state and it won't conflict with NYS law, because the permit is for buying in NYS. Not elsewhere.

Anywho, you're all welcome to prove me wrong. I'm not 100% on this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So, apparently, we still don't know if existing owners must apply for permits, register, etc. under this new "law?"
Just found this:

§ 265.65 CRIMINAL PURCHASE OF A SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE.
A PERSON IS GUILTY OF CRIMINAL PURCHASE OF A SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE WHEN
HE OR SHE PURCHASES OR TAKES POSSESSION OF A SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE AND
DOES NOT POSSESS A LICENSE TO PURCHASE OR TAKE POSSESSION OF A SEMIAUTO-
MATIC RIFLE AS PROVIDED IN SUBDIVISION TWO OF SECTION 400.00 OF THIS
CHAPTER.
CRIMINAL PURCHASE OF A SEMIAUTOMATIC RIFLE IS A CLASS A MISDEMEANOR FOR
THE FIRST OFFENSE AND A CLASS E FELONY FOR SUBSEQUENT OFFENSES.

and later...

§ 8. This act shall take effect on the ninetieth day after it shall
have become a law and shall apply only to purchases or transfers of
ownership made on or after such effective date.

Hopefully, this means what it appears to mean: permits needed to buy a semi-auto rifle but existing owners left alone. I guess we will see.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I really cant see how this will stand, obviously it’s heading to permit purchasing which is a clear infringement on our rights. If they want to offer them free and instantaneously then maybe they can get away with this foolishness to help deter a few lazy people from buying guns. I dont see how they’ll even have a plan in place for all this within 90 days. Retailers should then sue the state for lost business due to enacting laws without a system for implementation. Its going to go as smoothly as the supposed student loan foregiveness thats being rushed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I really cant see how this will stand, obviously it’s heading to permit purchasing which is a clear infringement on our rights. If they want to offer them free and instantaneously then maybe they can get away with this foolishness to help deter a few lazy people from buying guns. I dont see how they’ll even have a plan in place for all this within 90 days. Retailers should then sue the state for lost business due to enacting laws without a system for implementation. Its going to go as smoothly as the supposed student loan foregiveness thats being rushed.
Everything NYS legislature does seems half-baked. Even legal marijuana. They made it legal to possess, but not to sell without their oversight and licensing in place. Then they said you can't grow it until some arbitrary amount of time after it becomes feasible to sell (i.e., once they get infrastructure in place and begin licensing businesses). So we'll have had legal marijuana for three years before you're legally able to put a god damned seed in the dirt in your own back yard.

They can't even do the right thing without putting their collective dick in it.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts