New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I think I know the answer but want to see what others do. Im at the point where I would like to sell one of or some of my long guns. My youth 20g is now too small and kids need to move to an adult sized firearm.

How/where do I sell it properly so the serial number gets transferred properly?? If something was to say go wrong with this gun after I sell I dont want it to come back to me. I take it there are FFL dealers/shops that buy used stuff?

None of these are super great guns but....I wont use them anymore and want to upgrade and what not.

Who does this??

Thanks guys/gals

· Registered
275 Posts
When I bought a gun from an individual here in NY he typed up a statement with the serial number acknowledging the sale of the gun to me and had us both sign it. He kept a copy for himself and made me a copy.

I'm not sure if that's standard procedure but that's been my experience with it.

· Premium Member
10,553 Posts
You can just hand it over and take the cash as long as you have no reason to believe that the buyer can't own guns because of a felony or whatever.

Personally, I wouldn't sell a gun without writing up a bill of sale so there is a record that I sold it. Same goes for anything that costs as much as a gun.

There is no transfer of any serial number since long guns aren't registered like handguns.

· Registered
4,105 Posts
When I bought a gun from an individual here in NY he typed up a statement with the serial number acknowledging the sale of the gun to me and had us both sign it. He kept a copy for himself and made me a copy.
That's generally exactly what I do, and it should be all that's required. Since anyone could say their name is anything though, I do ask to see a driver's license or a pistol permit is even better. In addition to the person's name on a bill of sale, I ask them to write down either their driver ID # or pistol permit county and license number on it. I have traded photocopies of licenses at times, but it's understandable that people might not want to swap addresses. If a potential buyer doesn't want to provide some confirmation of their name and an associated # though , I wouldn't want to sell them the gun.

· Registered
1,303 Posts
I've done it both with a bill of sale and I've done it without any paperwork. Either way is legal, but I would lean tward getting a bill of sale, especially if you don't know the other person real well.

· Registered
3,023 Posts
I have done both - with or without a bill of sale doesn't bother me. Since most of it takes place on the internet I do save the emails from the transactions in a saved folder that could be accessed in the event of some sort of problem. Probably more reliable than me saving a piece of paper from somewhere.

· Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OH Ok.......all makes sense what everyone says.........then I can even keep a copy of that in my gun safe. Plus not so much a trust issue as much as covering my but. I mean what if the gun gets stolen from him or something. Bill of sale with Serial number...perfect.

Thank you everyone.

· Registered
110 Posts
I just sell the gun. If he wants paperwork I will give it to him but give me the money and I give you a gun. Just like freedom says I and he can.

I wont buy a gun FTF with all kinds of crap and I wont give the person a copy of anything.

I am aware that some wont sell to me on that and I am fine with it.

The only time I fill paper work out is when I go to a gun store or a gun show where the law says I have to.

Dont get rid of our freedoms on firearms.
They take too many as it is.

· Registered
1,668 Posts
I just sell the gun. If he wants paperwork I will give it to him but give me the money and I give you a gun. Just like freedom says I and he can.

I wont buy a gun FTF with all kinds of crap and I wont give the person a copy of anything.

I am aware that some wont sell to me on that and I am fine with it.

The only time I fill paper work out is when I go to a gun store or a gun show where the law says I have to.

Dont get rid of our freedoms on firearms.
They take too many as it is.
Sooooo... What would happen if you sold a rifle to someone, they shot up a school yard, dropped it and ran? You bought it legally, you're the legal owner and you have no solid evidence you were somewhere else that day, or sold it to that person. What then?

· Registered
110 Posts
What if a earth quake hit and my gun fell to china.

Again, I dont care, all the what ifs wont change my mind.

If they report it stolen and i am with such gun my record speaks for itself.

As far as the school yard goes please see what I wrote in the first line.

· Registered
862 Posts
There isn't any legal requirement to transfer the SN, and yes, lots of shops do buy/sell used, or will do trade-ins. (I have a good recommendation out my way) For a FTF local sale, as I have done with guys, especially known folks like we have here, I just scribble a bill of sale. If it is someone I haven't done a lot with, I will do the 2 copy thing, and I always include the phrase "I also state that my purchase of this firearm is in accordance with all Federal, State and Local laws, and that I have no legal restrictions aginst me preventing ownership of a firearm." I also make sure that the gun is sold as is, with no warranty expressed or implied. There are too many lawyer-happy folks out there. I also ask for one when buying FTF. One reason I ask for a bill of sale when I buy is that, if the gun is later stolen, I have both the serial number, and a receipt to show my insurance company. They will fight like hell not to pay you without one. And if that used gun I bought was stolen 10 years and 10 owners before I got it, I want to be able to show how it got into my hands.

Ok. I think I know the answer but want to see what others do. Im at the point where I would like to sell one of or some of my long guns. My youth 20g is now too small and kids need to move to an adult sized firearm.

How/where do I sell it properly so the serial number gets transferred properly?? If something was to say go wrong with this gun after I sell I dont want it to come back to me. I take it there are FFL dealers/shops that buy used stuff?

None of these are super great guns but....I wont use them anymore and want to upgrade and what not.

Who does this??

Thanks guys/gals

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.