New York Firearms Forum banner

Professor Roth Says “...Guns Aren't the Problem”

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  darrenlobo 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 · (Edited)
From the full transcript:

And we have this giant pity party going on. I don't understand it, I don't get it, but it's there. And we know for many people who've lost their place in this world because of deindustrialization, it's a real sense of disempowerment. If you're a white supremacist, how do you feel about the way the country's going? It's not good. If you believe in traditional gender relations, how's your life going? It's not going well. And you see a future where you are losing. And so, yeah, and playing out, I mean, "stand your ground." That's a statement about an older notion of masculinity, isn't it? That's what it's about. "I'm a real man because I'm not going to back down in a public place." It's a different idea of manhood than one that says, "A real man walks away from a confrontation when it starts to threaten violence. A real man is somebody who walks around with confidence because he believes in his country, courageous, can defend himself without the need for a gun." That's a different concept of masculinity than the one that is constantly ready, prepared to use force. And again, you see that playing out. That's shrinking in our country, but as I said, when that small group feels threatened with change, it can become more violent.
If I'm wrong, please correct me, but I take this example of the Professor's Q&A session to equate people who support stand your ground laws with white supremacists and homophobes.

#3 ·
He is kind of all over the place with his answer but I think he is more right than wrong. if we feel threatened and/or disenfranchised we are more likely to lash out (with the mentioned rolling pin if necessary). Guns may make it easier but the statistics show that gun violence and murder rates are not related in themselves. As far as the 'stand your ground' comment...I believe he is using the supremacists and homophobes as examples of the disenfranchised, who feel things arent going their way and may feel threatened and use violence in their reactions to perceived threats. I think some people believe 'stand your ground' allows you to escalate a situation to the point of violence and then defend yourself with impunity.

#4 ·
I think that when you have that homicide rate go up, having this many guns in the society makes it worse than it would otherwise be. /QUOTE] Statistics from the FBI - WHO - Center for Disease Control etc all prove him wrong on this point.

In his world, his definition of masculinity is probably true. Wait a second. Isn't he now gender baiting?
I totally disagree with his statement and premise that the USA is a homicidal nation.
This guy was trying to be the smartest guy in a room full of I don't know your guess is as good as mine.
I mean give me a break!
[I couldn't help but notice that you didn't mention gun availability, gun laws, anything like that, so I was curious -
ROTH: Because I don't like being abused and having my life threatened. [audience laughter] Because I've had both. I've been, you know, my scholarly credentials have been, you know, when I - because guns aren't the problem. I mean, I say this, and as I say, I went to graduate school, many of us went to graduate school. We had very expensive and rigorous educations to learn that the answer to every important question is yes, no and maybe, right? And the answer to the question, "Are guns responsible for our homicide rate?" Yes, no and maybe. And that's the truth./QUOTE]

We always hear talking points from multiple sources on things like. Canada has national Health Care? And the average american says Well if it works in Canada ........ Not realizing that Canada although a large looking country on a map has the population of California. More people go to a Buffalo Bills Game than the total armed forces of Canada. So here is an idea lets compare the number of gun murders in Canada to the USA! WoW you guys in the USA are all killers. People then buy it.
Or Lets compare to England not realizing that England plus Ireland are about the same size as Oregon with the population of California and Texas.

This guy is a typical academic and if he ever fired a gun he would squeal in pain because a manicured finger nail got tarnished.

#5 ·
Roth's liberalism shows. The value of his work is that at its core is the idea that the presence of guns isn't what drives the murder rate. The rest doesn't matter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.