New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i bought a slidefire stock the other day. expensive but alot of fun. ripping through a whole mag is easy. doin short bursts is a bit trickier. the problem im having is after a burst or so i keep havin a malfunction with the trigger.its weird it will have a live round in the chamber but i pull the trigger and nothin. if i pull the charging handle back enuff to look and make sure i got a round chambered yet not eject that round, the trigger gets " reset". and im back is buisness but not sure how to fix this malfunction. only seems to happen when i try to do shorter bursts. ive tried the stock on 2 different lowers thinkin maybe something to do with the trigger. but still happens. also tried 2 uppers and still happens?? maybe the bolt carrier??any clues?? or any 1 else have this problem???

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
The quick answer:
It's short stroking.

The long answer:
More oil on bolt carrier group.
The AR15 system, regardless of the slidefire, is meant to run wet.
Particulalry if you are doing high cyclic rates.

But to cover other bases, what receiver extension type, gas system, and buffer weight are you using?
Does the buffer spring meet length spec for the given receiver extension type?

And for the way out, short stroke can also be caused by not enough resistance to allow the BCG to cycle properly.
ie: using the slidefire doesn't produce enough resistance to the machines natural motions and is causing more energy to be expended moving the whole rifle back and forth rather than moving the BCG back.

As in it makes you hold on to it too frikkin loose.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
was cleaned and oiled /greased that very day. also if it managed to chamber a round and chamber was fully closed i dont understand how oil can come into play. not exactly sure what parts in the gun exatly. its an olympic 16inch barreled carbine . with typical m4 stock if that helps. all stock parts

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
We'll presume spring is correct, so you have a carbine receiver extension, carbine weight buffer and way out of spec oversize gas port.

Oil makes things go back and forth more easily. A dry AR is highly prone to all sorts fail to fire, fail to extract, fail to eject and fail to cycle type issues.

Wet means just short of dripping. A little rub with the tip of a finger to spread a single drop over the whole of the carrier is dry.
This helps ensure the BCG is properly lubed and tthe fire control group and the buffer spring will benefit from the over~run/spray coming off the BCG.

If hand charging the rifle makes the buffer spring sound anything remotely like a bag of sand its too dry.
(or the receiver extension is a poorly extruded POS that hasn't had a couple thousand cycles on it to bed the ripples, or both)

Chambering the round and locking the bolt has little to do with how far back the BCG moves when activated by the gas system other than if the BCG moves far too little it won't pick up a round out of the mag.

EG: lock the stock and with a round in the chamber and a 1/2 full mag locked in the well, lay the rifle on its side on the bench and using just your trigger finger and thumb, fire it.
Odds are very high that you'll have the exact same result as you're seeing currently.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so if i understand correctly what your saying is the bcg is goin back enough to take a round out of the mag but not far enuff to actually reset the trigger because of friction caused by not enuff lube??

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
That and/or the lack of physical support to the rifle as a whole is causing all the energy to be wasted moving the whole rifle around in recoil as opposed to it being expended moving just the BCG.

At the very very very outside of things you could potentially have a bad disconnect spring or worn disconnect that is allowing the hammer to just follow the carrier forward when things move violently, but you'd have experienced issues related to that even before the slidefire was installed.

·
Registered
241 Posts
from what i've been told the slide fire works best with a 20 inch barrel set up

·
Registered
284 Posts
I have one on a ruger Sr556 and it works like a champ. I put another on a Preban colt with Dpms upper and that one works even better. I don't over lube my ar's. I wipe down the insides with a silicone cloth. Those stocks are sweet

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Any resolution on this?

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
was cleaned and oiled /greased that very day. also if it managed to chamber a round and chamber was fully closed i dont understand how oil can come into play. not exactly sure what parts in the gun exatly. its an olympic 16inch barreled carbine . with typical m4 stock if that helps. all stock parts
Like Tifosi said.......AR's were made and love to be run wet.....Like another thing we all know and love.....:)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Internal combustion engines?

·
Registered
380 Posts
The slidefire works on recoil. You need to make sure there's enough of it. The 2 easiest ways are to use XM193 5.56 nato ammo and to make sure you're using a standard carbine buffer. If you take off the upper and look at the buffer in the rear, does it have any letters on it like H or H2? If so, go get a carbine buffer with no letters on it. It won't absorb as much of the force and the BCG will have more rearward motion which will go further to resetting the hammer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts