New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was at the range the other day, on either my second or third shot after firing, my trigger didn't reset and the rifle just went click. I ejected the magazine and cleared the chambered round. After clearing the chambered round I reloaded the mag and the rifle shot another round but the same thing happened. I did the same thing but this time around it was very difficult to eject the magazine, I really had to push down on the magazine release button to get the magazine to eject but after a little force pushing the magazine released and after following the same procedures, my rifle began to work again as normal. Mind you this only happened twice and it never happened again afterwards, but I was wondering what it was that caused this happen.. I'm guessing I either had a double feed or some other problems with the magazine (10 round stag arms mag, that came with my rifle). Maybe someone else could give their input as to what they think the problem might be. Going back out to the range tomorrow and I'll see if it happens again. Thanks again as always.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Try other magazine maybe a used one in good shape and see if this repeats again.
Brand new mags can give some trouble until they break in. just go slowly. Assuming you did all the safety checks you have a rifle properly put together and headspaced and so fort I would not worry too much about it. Just keep breaking in and if it happens again open slowly observing any friction of the bolt with the magazine (maybe bent lips?) or something else.
Maybe tifosy, evileyes or others might have some advice too.
hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
What do you mean by bent lips?

·
Super Moderator
1,205 Posts
Did you check all the brass?
I'm thinking possibly a primer in the FCG.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
The bolt passes over the magazine lips stay precisely between two bolt lugs and should not be touching them. Sometimes if they are bent like if you drooped a loaded mag head first then there might be friction there and might not even stop but create problems.
Some mags can also be out of spec and have lips too wide or with polymer excess from the molds that has not been properly deburred.
Sometimes I found this and normally took care of it with a pocket knife just scraping the excess.
I will make a picture of that tonight too if you want.
Cheers.
E.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had the rifle and magazine since January, I have some pre ban 30's but I mostly just use the 10 rounder. Could it be that the magazine itself is getting worn out or the ammo was not seated properly? I do recall that I didn't make sure that the ammo was seated all the way back and could have been due to improper seating of the rounds.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did check the brass and after carefully inspecting it, I reloaded the ejected rounds back into the magazine and they shot with no problems whatsoever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts