New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is needed? A rifle. Money. A firm handshake and nothing more right?

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Yes, as long as it is between two NYS residents. If the rifle crosses state borders it must go through an FFL. I always find it best to print out a little paperwork for both the buyer and seller though.

For example, a nefarious seller could report his gun stolen after the deal is done. On the other end, a rifle could be used in a crime by the buyer and the serial would come back to the original purchaser. We hope these things don't happen of course, but it's always a smart move to 'CYA' with a simple receipt of sale.

·
Registered
810 Posts
You covered it all except a bill of sale. Always good to get the sale on paper with a signature, never know what might pop up down the road.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I request a copy of a valid NYS drivers license and I provide a copy of mine as well to the other party. Just shows that I meet the age requirement.

There is a FTF form I saw on this forum awhile back and I can't find it now. That's a great one to cover yer arse if any doubt exists. Maybe someone here can locate it???

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You covered it all except a bill of sale. Always good to get the sale on paper with a signature, never know what might pop up down the road.
But is that bill of sale required? Yes good to have but is it "law"?

·
Registered
810 Posts
But is that bill of sale required? Yes good to have but is it "law"?
No it is not required, but it could save you a whole lot of trouble down the road if that rifle was involved in a crime.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok cool. Thats what I thought but a friend was asking a million questions about it all and he got me second guessing myself.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
billofsale.jpg

hope that works...had to covert the PDF to JPG for it to be small enough.
i have a feeling this isn't working LOL
i found this by simply using google.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
View attachment 8338

hope that works...had to covert the PDF to JPG for it to be small enough.
i have a feeling this isn't working LOL
i found this by simply using google.
Thank you all and yes that works. I guess that "might" give the seller a little protection because you could lie your ass off about it and sign it anyway. You can't lie on the FFL paperwork but I wouldn't expect a felon to be honest on a garage sale gun buy! Ha

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
as far as i know you NEED TO HAVE A BILL OF SALE FOR ANYTHING BOUGHT AND SOLD FOR OVER 99.99$
I bought an AK from someone years ago. He asked for a copy of my DL. I gave it to him because I have nothing to hide BUT he said the law required that he have that and hold it for two years. I said ok whatever. Where the hell did he get that info??

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I bought an AK from someone years ago. He asked for a copy of my DL. I gave it to him because I have nothing to hide BUT he said the law required that he have that and hold it for two years. I said ok whatever. Where the hell did he get that info??
possible FFL holder?? I am required to have a copy of a license of the buyer whenever I dispose of a gun I have in the collection. Some 03 holders will request one for ANY gun they sell as they enter all of their guns in the book. It's a good idea really. An AK is not 03FFL/C&R eligible so that may have been the case??

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
possible FFL holder?? I am required to have a copy of a license of the buyer whenever I dispose of a gun I have in the collection. Some 03 holders will request one for ANY gun they sell as they enter all of their guns in the book. It's a good idea really.
No he wasn't an FFL holder. Just misinformed I guess.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts