New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my ccw from Steuben county in NY. Am I able to take my hanguns to private property in PA for target shooting with friends and family? Do I have to separate the guns from the ammo and mags and keep em locked in the trunk while I travel? I have not yet aquired my PA ccw license but intend to ASAP since I live only 200 yards from the border.
thanks for any help you have to offer.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I'm pretty sure you're allowed to open carry in PA even if you're a non resident. But yes in car they need to be locked up.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Some one may chime in but i believe there was a post a while back where there are certain county's in PA where you can walk in a apply/ receive your non-resident PA permit the same day...

·
Registered
218 Posts
from my understanding now that you must apply in person it can be in any county. Please correct me if i am wrong. I have had my PA ccw for some time and back then you simply applied through the mail and they sent it back to you in a few weeks.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
This seems like a strange question, are you asking if you can possess a handgun in PA without a PA license?

If you went to PA and got your permit this wouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This seems like a strange question, are you asking if you can possess a handgun in PA without a PA license?If you went to PA and got your permit this wouldn't be an issue.
What im asking is if I can take my handgun to private property in PA for target practice with family and friends. I do not have a permit in PA at the present time and want to know if I can legally take my 9mm with me.I fully intend to get my PA permit as soon as possible since my family has 2 hunting/fishing camps in PA but I dont have time to aquire it right away and will be going to one of these private owned family camps on a camping trip and would like to take my handgun with me. Its no big deal if I cannot take it.

·
Registered
734 Posts
If you dont have a PA permit, then I would say no, you cant posses a handgun there. A NY permit is only good in NY as NY doesnt recognize reciprocity with any other state.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
People who are not residents of Pennsylvania may apply for and receive a Non-Resident License To Carry Firearms in Pennsylvania. The process is exactly the same as it is for residents except that non-residents must possess a similar permit in their home state per the following statute:
18 Pa.C.S. § 6109: Licenses
  • (e)(1) A license to carry a firearm shall be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about one's person or in a vehicle and shall be issued if, after an investigation not to exceed 45 days, it appears that the applicant is an individual concerning whom no good cause exists to deny the license. A license shall not be issued to any of the following:
    • (ix) A resident of another state who does not possess a current license or permit or similar document to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is provided for by the laws of that state, as published annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the Treasury under 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(19) (relating to definitions).

Regardless of the law, many counties will refuse to process non-resident permits. To locate a county that will issue non-resident permits please see the County-by-County information section of our website.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
tl;dr: OP, yes, you may legally transport your firearms to a friend's house in PA to plink with friends.

Long version:

The laws that MDX linked are your best resource. Here is a summary regarding the OP's question and the subsequent licensing questions that were brought up:

1) Any person allowed by law to own a firearm may openly carry a loaded firearm on foot in the state of PA, excluding cities "of the first class" (> 1 million residents, so currently this applies only to Philadelphia). Note: ON FOOT. You cannot drive somewhere while OCing unless you qualify for an exception (next bullet).
2) If a person has a PA LTCF, or a concealed carry license from any other state, they may "openly carry" in the vehicle.

What I am saying here, OP, is that you may openly carry a firearm in PA except in Philly, and since you have a NYS pistol permit, you may also drive to your destination with the firearm on your hip. The following does not apply to you since you have a NYS permit, but I want to be clear about one thing: it is illegal for a person who does not qualify for an exception to transport their weapon, locked up/in the trunk/etc, then take it out when they arrive at their destination so that they may OC the firearm. This portion of the law is dependent on intent - if you are going to a shooting range, or going to some hunting lands, what I described is legal. But if an unlicensed or otherwise unexempted person is going to the grocery store, they cannot lock up their handgun in the trunk, drive to the store, then OC the handgun at the store.

I know that's a bit confusing. OP, given your current licensing status, you may carry openly in all of PA except Philadelphia, and you may carry in your vehicle.

Regarding Licensing:
1) Non-residents may apply to any PA county of their choosing. You do not have to apply to a bordering county.
2) PA law currently requires that the picture on your license is in their system. They currently have only one way to do this, and that is to take your picture while you're in the office. This is the only reason we are currently required to apply in person. There is no law requiring that we apply in person, only a technical hurdle that no county has passed (yet). Note that this is a new requirement as of about a year ago, so you will find people who have LTCFs but did not have to apply in person.

Again, I am providing a high level summary of my understanding of the law. While I am highly confident in my understanding of the law, the laws themselves are your best resource.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Holy cow. I really appreciate the fact that you typed all that out. But, that was the most confusing thing I've read in quite a while. Im not a pro at understanding these laws. Im a pretty simple guy really, somewhat of a yes or no kinda person...ok so im sort of a bone head to keep things simple. Do I have to lock the gun in my vehicle while I transport it to the camp? Do I have to wear it on my hip while I drive there? Should I strap the damn thing onto my forehead? Or should I just say screw it and leave it home to make things simple? Because at this point ive gotten some seriously conflicting answers to my question. I really just planned on shooting at some soda cans and such, maybe murdering some paper targets...
also planned on shooting some clay pigeons with my shot gun and maybe setting up a 100 yard range for my rifles...are there any special provisions I need to think of to take my long guns to the camp?

·
Registered
734 Posts
What I am seeing from this link: Pennsylvania Firearm/Gun Law is that you can open carry in PA (except Philly) without a license. You cannot carry concealed or in a vehicle without a PA LTCF. PA does not recognize reciprocity with NY, per this list: Pennsylvania's Firearm/Gun Carry Permit/License Reciprocity

A PA LTCF is pretty easy to get though, and must be either accepted or denied within 45 days. If you live that close to the border, you shouldnt need more than a couple of hours to go down and fill out the application. Once you do that, you dont have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Is there any reason, other reduction of hassle if you are stopped, to get a PA CCW license if you have a FL non-resident license?

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
I lived in Pa most my life.And from what I remember is that the back-seat or trunk is fine heading to the range,just not concealed I:E under the seat or glove box!Keep it un-loaded and you wont have a problem at all....

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Is there any reason, other reduction of hassle if you are stopped, to get a PA CCW license if you have a FL non-resident license?
Gun free school zone exemption. One of the primary exemptions is possessing a license from the state in question. Reciprocal agreements (ex: FL permit) do not qualify for this exemption.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Holy cow. I really appreciate the fact that you typed all that out. But, that was the most confusing thing I've read in quite a while. Im not a pro at understanding these laws. Im a pretty simple guy really, somewhat of a yes or no kinda person...ok so im sort of a bone head to keep things simple.
Hehe... that's what the "tl;dr" heading was for. "tl;dr" stands for "too long, didn't read" and is often used to summarize without getting into the nitty gritty. I'll try to answer your questions as concisely as possible, in the specific context of your situation:

Do I have to lock the gun in my vehicle while I transport it to the camp?
No, because you have a NYS pistol permit, you may transport it in your vehicle in any way you see fit.

Should I strap the damn thing onto my forehead?
Only if you take a picture for us.

Or should I just say screw it and leave it home to make things simple?
Nah. Compared to NY, PA is a bastion of freedom. You really have very little to be concerned about.

are there any special provisions I need to think of to take my long guns to the camp?
Nothing out of the ordinary (long guns must be unloaded while transporting in the vehicle).

I will try to make a set of easy to follow rules for you, for your specific situation (NYS permit holder bringing handgun into PA):

1) Stay out of Philadelphia.
2) Transport in your vehicle in any manner you see fit.
3) When walking around in public, do not CC, OC.
4) Steer clear of schools, post offices, etc.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts