New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend in NY that is going to sell me three firearms. A rifle, pistol and shotgun. What paperwork does he need in order to sell them to me? We don't have any gun registration here in VA.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
He needs to send all of them to an FFL in your state, assuming you have an FFL that will accept transfers from private parties, otherwise he needs to go to an FFL in NY and they ship to your VA FFL. Then you pick them up from the your VA FFL, after you pay the fee and get the NICS check.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But since we don't require registration of fire arms here in VA, a deal between private parties shouldn't have to go through an FFL.... but that in only if he comes down here to VA for the transfer. I just want to make sure he is covered on his side.

·
Registered
687 Posts
dependig on his county....

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
But since we don't require registration of fire arms here in VA, a deal between private parties shouldn't have to go through an FFL
sure it does, because it's between states.

If you were both in NY only the pistol would go thru the FFL

·
Registered
687 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
county means nothing, this is ATF
the question appeared to what paperwork his friend in NY would need on his end. That paperwork by county is different to take a pistol off. right? sending anything over state lines is a seperate issue.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Interstate transfers MUST go through a FFL, no way around it.
I understand the pistols but are you saying long guns too?

What if I drove down on a hunt with my buddy in VA. He loved my Remington 700. I couldn't sell it to him?

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
What if I drove down on a hunt with my buddy in VA. He loved my Remington 700. I couldn't sell it to him?
nope

Q: May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser's own State?

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I called my dealer and he said that since there is no requirement for registration here in VA, I didn't have to go through him for a private sale.

·
Registered
687 Posts
nope

Q: May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser's own State?

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.
[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]
Where did you cut that from? Igoogled the reference but can't tell what main document

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I called my dealer and he said that since there is no requirement for registration here in VA, I didn't have to go through him for a private sale.
It has nothing to do with registration. A private sale in your state would be good to go. All interstate transfers must go through an FFL. It's also against the law to ship firearms interstate from a non-FFL to a non-FFL.

18 USC 922A(3)
(a) It shall be unlawful -
(3) for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed
manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the personis a corporation or other business entity, the State where itmaintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwiseobtained by such person outside that State, except that thisparagraph (A) shall not preclude any person who lawfully acquiresa firearm by bequest or intestate succession in a State otherthan his State of residence from transporting the firearm into orreceiving it in that State, if it is lawful for such person topurchase or possess such firearm in that State, (B) shall notapply to the transportation or receipt of a firearm obtained inconformity with subsection (b)(3) of this section, and (C) shallnot apply to the transportation of any firearm acquired in any
State prior to the effective date of this chapter;

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
HYPOTHETICAL QUESTION~~~~~~THIS ONLY A DRILL~~~~~~~DO NOT PANIC ~~~~~~THIS IS ONLY A HYPOTHETICAL SITUATION

So lets say someone owns a 30 or 40 or 50 year old rifle and they travel to Virgina on a hunt. The guys he/she is hunting with admire the weapon and one of them offers he/she a monetary sum for said rifle. so now that someone sells said rifle to that guy and comes home without the rifle?

The weapon was never registered in NYS, Va does not require the weapon to be registered?

I guess what Im asking is, if no one has ever registered the weapon, how would anyone in government know the thing even existed or there was ever a transfer?????

Now that I think about it, I wonder how many times a day something like this actually does occur ????

REMEMBER, IM JUST ASKING TO FOR CLARIFICATION
(thanx for understanding)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts