New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i understand the differance in machining and fit. Just trying to understand the prices. Are some brand that much better say 1000$+ than the next? Is there a big difference in how they shoot? Would a person like me who is just gonna shoot target and maybe coyote hunt know or see it?

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
These are great questions that I had when I was shopping for my first AR. These threads always turn into the Chevy Vs. Ford Vs. Lamborghini discussions. Assuming they are all in good working order you will get to your destination.

Are some brand that much better say 1000$+ than the next?
Some say yes, some say no.

Is there a big difference in how they shoot?
Sure, just like the cars will drive different!

Would a person like me who is just gonna shoot target and maybe coyote hunt know or see it?
Try out as many platforms as possible before purchasing..... Make friends at the rifle range! :) Knowing what you plan to use it for will help guide you. Personally I went with a "Basic" Stag and love it, it is simple and has been very reliable.

Once you jump into the platform, they are like erector sets that go boom. Be careful, once you get bitten by the AR bug you may notice your wallet getting lighter!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Quality of materials plays into it, as does compliance with specs, attention to detail during assembly, and service after purchase.

You can get a NIB in theory ready to shoot X brand for $500 or so, you can get a known and proven quality Colt for around $1000, or even something more precise for around $1200~$1500

The difference?
You can stake your life on the Colt, BCM, DD, Noveske and a couple others while a Bushmaster, DPMS, Model1 or simular might keep you content for years, or it might fall apart in your hands the first time you take it out of the box.
There's a newish thread on another forum that showed a NIB Bushmaster carbine that was literally coming apart right in the box from the factory, and others from some of the 'bargain' companies with tight chambers, loose barrels, wrong chamber entirely for the given stamp on the barrel, trigger groups that fall apart and any number of other issues.

They all have potential for problems of course, but the better the quality up front, the less the odds of something unexpected occuring.

Don't base the purchase on dollars saved as the sole deciding factor, because in the long run you won't save a dime and in fact may spend more in repairs and parts than you would if quality had been picked to begin with.

Does life or death matter for your purposes?
Dunno.
Have you got something else to defend yourself with in the event your rifle fails and a coyote or 3 decide to get pissed off and come after you instead of running away?

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I have a factory made NYS ban compliant Rock River Arms that retails in the $1000 range and would recommend it. The only feature I don't like is the charging handle that seems like it could be better constructed. No problems with it, it just seems not as heavy-duty as it could be. (But for all I know they are all like this.) I was told that the differences between my model and the higher line RRAs are basically cosmetic (e.g., etched logos, etc). I have the same line that is used by the Rockland County Sheriffs department, except with a pinned stock and welded brake.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Does life or death matter for your purposes?
Dunno.
Have you got something else to defend yourself with in the event your rifle fails and a coyote or 3 decide to get pissed off and come after you instead of running away?
OP stated use was plinking & hunting. Self defense from pissed off coyotes? :)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I've a RRA also. It's delegated to a .22LR conversion because that's all I trust it to :shrug:

Law enforcement agencies buy what they can get at a bulk discount, not what's neccisarily the best for the job.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I've a RRA also. It's delegated to a .22LR conversion because that's all I trust it to :shrug:

Law enforcement agencies buy what they can get at a bulk discount, not what's neccisarily the best for the job.
Perhaps. I've run about 1500 rounds through it so far with zero problems and always on target. I'm sure there is better but it seems to get the job done.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
You will get 1000 opinions based on what people have alone...

Ok i understand the differance in machining and fit. Just trying to understand the prices. Are some brand that much better say 1000$+ than the next?
In general no, but there are some key differences you might want to consider if there is a special purpose. Something it seems you do not need.
For example Les Baers makes a 1/2MOA guarantee varminter. Is that what you want? You have to pay for that.

Is there a big difference in how they shoot?
No, they all feed through the breach and bullets come out the muzzle. Some main stream ARs are very accurate, specially the heavy barreled midlength are showing consistent submoa accuracy but they are a tad heavier.

Would a person like me who is just gonna shoot target and maybe coyote hunt know or see it?
No unless you want consistent bench performance and for hunting it doesn't matter. The bullet you use is more important. I think an easy to carry, light reliable carbine is more important than extreme accuracy. Only in long range hunting is a little more critical but the standard AR round is not designed for that.

The two components that you want to concentrate the most are:
-A nice reliable BCG (a must)
-A nice barrel. Chrome is more durable but a tad less accurate. Nitrocarburized is starting to become more popular. Many good options in SS.
The brand of the shell is less important if they are mill spec dimensions and parts. Like all things you pay for the branding and fancy skull paintings.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
1500 is barely broken in :)
Keep note up to ideally around the 10k mark if it makes it that far.
(10k is around the point when some fair wear and tear items are usually replaced as a maintenance point regardless of manufacture or current visible condition of said items)

Still, if you are content with it then that's fine.
I'm not going to twist any arms over what brand someone wants to buy for X dollars.
We all make our own choices regardless and if anyone wants to play 'got it for $300 less', 'as good as', or 'a magazine/cop/soldier/dealer told me so' then that's fine and no skin off my butt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts