New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
16,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"You hear a knock on the door at 2am or even 10pm. The first thing you should not do is open the door. The key in preventing a home invasion is not to give your attackers an advantage.

We found a great video by Masad Ayoob on what not to do and what to do in preventing a home invasion.preventing a home invasion

Here is a little synopsis of the video:

Get a close circuit camera and place it where you observe who is outside your door. At the least, get an intercom where you can ask the person or people what they want.
Give yourself some distance between you and the door when ask them what they want. Change positions as you talk with them. Gauge their responses as to what makes sense.
Have a cell phone and a firearm on you and ready.
Finally don't open the door!
Check out the video. Let us know in the comments if you have any suggestions or questions."

Preventing a Home Invasion - Don't Answer the Door - Home Defense Gun

·
Registered
352 Posts
+1 for Masad Ayoob, he has a good video on what to do after a self defense shooting too, actuallt lots of good info by him, would love to do this MOD 40,80 and 120

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Interesting, What about apartment buildings?
Distance still applies. A wireless intercom or wireless video solution may still be allowed depending on the landlord if the mount doesn't cause damage. A wireless intercom at least.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Interesting, What about apartment buildings?
The apartment building I live in has security doors. With minimal traffic of people going in and out (I can watch traffic from my loveseat), so you'd be waiting a while for someone to open the door. But, lets say you get passed the security door. I have 4 "locks" to the door. 3 locks and an obstruction to keep the door from opening. I use the peep hole in the door no matter what before opening anyway.

Cant trust the Northside.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Another point with apartments is to remember that your interior entry door is very often opposite in the hallway from your neighbor's entry door. Therefore, you must be doubly conscious of your shot placement and timing, as your backstop really isn't.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I bet my 68# pit bull knows how to get to the front door from the back door, and I don't know anyone who can outrun him lol

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Cool video with great advice...I keep a sign with the coroners # outside not that signs work but so far so good....if not I can only hope the perp saw his pastor before he made his decision to enter my home and I am home.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have too many gun-grabber-obamaloveing liberals on my block so I can't put up some of the signs that I wish I could...but I do have a security camera right at the front door & on every side of the home which glows red at night and is pretty obvious.

One time I did get a knock on the door at 1am. I looked out the window and saw a running car with someone in the passenger seat and some guy knocking on the door. My wife waited at the top of the stairs, armed. I stood by the side of the door, armed. I asked him what he wanted out loud with the door still closed and locked. He said he was dropping something off and needed me to sign for it (yeah at 1am). I called the cops and had the cops come to the block to see what this guy wanted. Apparently it was a summons or something for the person who lived at my home previously. Shadiest thing I've ever seen but yeah, never open a door and if in question you can always call the police. It's better than opening the door and having a burglar rush through and having to pump him full of lead. You'll spend the next decade in legal battles and go broke. Better off to keep the door shut and let the cops figure it out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
4 locks can be overkill. I think 2 good locks is all you need. What if you need to get out of your apt ASAP due to a fire or intruder in your home already, a demon/ghost or whatever, and you're fumbling with keys to open 4 doors to get out. Or get in.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.