New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This probably isn't "new" news, but I've heard form a well connected source that a topic of discussion at the Police Chiefs Meeting is that the State will pressure local PD to enforce the law. Even though many counties and municipalities have passed their own resolutions for repeal or non-compliance, the powers that be will not tolerate that.

#1 -- State funding of local "projects" will disappear.
#2 -- Warning letters will be sent to local PD to cease the non-compliance.
#3 -- NYSP will take over the jurisdiction for SAFE Act enforcement activities.

I expect the 4 large metro centers to step in line immediately, but how will this play out in small town, upstate?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
This isn't surprising. The mafia has always used coercion to get their way.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I say ok let all that happen. I am willing to get there is not enough man power in the state police to enforcement the new laws. I am also willing to bet there is not enough money left in the budget to hire new NYSP officers to help enforce. I have a feeling things would go downhill quick for the NYSP.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm fairly certain that police are required to attempt to NOT violate people's constitutional rights, regardless of pressure. Pressuring them to enforce unconstitutional laws is frankly execrable.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sheriff's are elected by the people in their county, just vote out Sheriffs who support the Safe Act.

Our Sheriff here in Saratoga County is retiring so we will be voting for a new Sheriff next year. If that new sheriff doesn't oppose the SAFE Act there is no way they will be getting my vote.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Sheriff's are elected by the people in their county, just vote out Sheriffs who support the Safe Act.

Our Sheriff here in Saratoga County is retiring so we will be voting for a new Sheriff next year. If that new sheriff doesn't oppose the SAFE Act there is no way they will be getting my vote.
And you need to remember to ACTIVELY campaign for the candidate that is pro-2A and anti-(un)Safe act. Don't think that just voting is enough. Firearm enthusiasts need to get INVOLVED!!!

·
Registered
561 Posts
#1 -- State funding of local "projects" will disappear.
the same thing happened when the feds came out with the 55mph speed limit, states that later switched back to their own 65 or 75 mph speed limits lost funding, no big deal.

btw, speed limit in some parts of Texas is 80 mph!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I expect the 4 large metro centers to step in line immediately, but how will this play out in small town, upstate?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Did you see the nasty gram that the Albany Police Union sent to Cuomo and the local legislators? Seems like they're not happy about SAFE either.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
And you need to remember to ACTIVELY campaign for the candidate that is pro-2A and anti-(un)Safe act. Don't think that just voting is enough. Firearm enthusiasts need to get INVOLVED!!!
When it comes that time we need to have a "suggestion" thread on who to vote for. Many people do not do research for themselves on candidates. So if someone did it for them, they are more apt to vote and vote for the people who are beneficial to keeping the 2A. Just a thought

·
Registered
499 Posts
When it comes that time we need to have a "suggestion" thread on who to vote for. Many people do not do research for themselves on candidates. So if someone did it for them, they are more apt to vote and vote for the people who are beneficial to keeping the 2A. Just a thought
I expect to see large mass emailing of lists of pro 2A candidates prior to next election. This along with the list of shame should help re-shuffle the deck in NY. We will all need to activate! We can show them that actions have consequences. We must!
ll

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I expect the 4 large metro centers to step in line immediately, but how will this play out in small town, upstate?
I wouldn't be so sure of that. Did you see the nasty gram that the Albany Police Union sent to Cuomo and the local legislators? Seems like they're not happy about SAFE either.[/QUOTE]

Police union members, police union leadership and appointed police chiefs are 3 distinct entities. Cuomo has the last two.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
The NYSP have ALREADY demonstrated their willingness to enforce SAFE (at least some of them) - so threatening that they will do so is something of a hollow threat already... Meanwhile, I don't think the state would be able to selectively withhold funding from specific counties/municipalities because of something they might be doing (hard to prove a negative) and, moreover, would likely subject the state to additional lawsuits.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I'm sort of hoping they enforce the law. I would love nothing more than to be able to sue the **** out of the state of NY.

Also: I can't wait to donate that $350 state tax credit to whoever runs against our tyrant leader.

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts
Denying funds to local municipalities is exactly the type of thug politics Cuomo is known for. Elected LEO like sheriffs can't and won't be pushed around but police chiefs answer to a mayor, city manager or controller who won't want to lose that money.

·
Registered
457 Posts
My question is though how do they KNOW that they're not enforcing it? What, is they're going to be some "NYSAFE quota" or something? LOL. They must be going off the fact that 95% of the state has told Cuomo to eat crow

·
Registered
712 Posts
Maybe set up checkpoints. Any one with a CCW please stay to the Right so we can check your mags - Thank you.

I mean how do you really "enforce" that. Also if you ahve a now registerable weapon stay to the VERY right. God.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Technically Sheriff's are the highest law enforcer of the county and can tell the state police to pound salt if they were to try and take over jurisdiction.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts