New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have a link to good instructions on preserving animal hair like deer tails for fly tying? Id also be interested in info on how to preserve entire hides for decorative pieces

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
I'm not up on fly tying, but hair shouldn't really need to be treated to use for flies should it?

There are a bunch of different ways to tan hides for decorative purposes. The easiest is to just buy a kit from a taxidermy store. They tend to use harsh chemicals (like chrome) to tan though. Other options are brain tanning (using brains or other oils) or bark tanning (using bark tannins). Each person has their own favorite method of preserving hides. I have brain tanned a couple squirrels, but plan on bark tanning a deer this year. We'll see how well it turns out.

·
Registered
355 Posts
For full tanning I send stuff out.....both hair on and hair off.

For tying I use Boraxo soap for rubbing into bird skins. It sucks up the grease and leaves the skin rubbery.

On fur I just salt and pin stuff flat to a board so it doesn't curl up too much.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I don't do taxidermy but I do tie a lot of flies... Salt is your friend. Salt the hide/feathers (with skin) in a zip lock bag. When dry, move to new ziplock and keep sealed to prevent bugs and moisture.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm taking my trapping course this Saturday and I have some general knowledge of the processes but I plan on getting way more in depth. My father had been a trapper in his younger years when pelts were worth much more than now and hes more than happy to show me the ropes. I'm starting out just for a hobby and if I can break even ill be pumped. Great thread, anybody else do much work with hides?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm taking my trapping course this Saturday and I have some general knowledge of the processes but I plan on getting way more in depth. My father had been a trapper in his younger years when pelts were worth much more than now and hes more than happy to show me the ropes. I'm starting out just for a hobby and if I can break even ill be pumped. Great thread, anybody else do much work with hides?
I plan to get my trappers license also good luck on the course and good luck on the trapping

Thanks for the tip on letting the furs sit in salt to "cure" them for fly tying...

Another question does anybody know how to dye the furs?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Second on the Borax - it really dries the skin up, though the hide remains a bit flexible. I've never tried salt, though that would seem a good bet for the ultimate use of fly tying, but I have no experience with that.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
shot a couple snow shoes up in the adirondacks last week.. trying the salt method on them I salted them up there just so they wouldnt rot and today I put a new coating of salt and hung them up in the shed to dry

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
shot a couple snow shoes up in the adirondacks last week.. trying the salt method on them I salted them up there just so they wouldnt rot and today I put a new coating of salt and hung them up in the shed to dry
Once dry, you'll need to put them in a ziplock bag to keep the bugs out. I'm still making flies from squirrels that I shot 30 years ago.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Once dry, you'll need to put them in a ziplock bag to keep the bugs out. I'm still making flies from squirrels that I shot 30 years ago.
Yeah I planned on putting them in bags regardless since thats how I have all my fly tying materials anyways.. It was pretty neat to catch a fish on a lure i made myself.. It will be even cooler to catch fish on a fly I made with materials that I got myself

·
Registered
355 Posts
It will be even cooler to catch fish on a fly I made with materials that I got myself
I started tying the winter before I started fly fishing.....first fly fish ever was a trout on a Black Nose Dace streamer from a buck I shot that prior year.

Totally hooked (pun intended)....I even started keeping a rooster in the hen house to raise for streamer feathers and soft hackles. (Barred Rock)

Fun stuff.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you are just interested in the bucks tail for lures just slit it open, dye it with kool-aid in water, or RIT Dye (Black, Purple, or Brown) Dying takes about 20-30 minutes on stove top, about 4-5 minutes in the microwave. tack it down, and dust it with Borax. Hide will dry nicely.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.