New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to start a thread for prescription eye protection options. I currently use my normal eyeglasses but I know this is dangerous and I'm looking for a better option. My top choice at the moment is the ESS ICE System + Rx insert. This runs about $115 + maybe $50 for the corrective lenses, although vision insurance will usually cover the Rx lenses.

ESS Goggles - Protective Goggles - Ballistic Goggles - Eye Protection

The pros of this system are that you have the interchangeable protective lens colors/options while only having to have 1 set of Rx lenses. Also the simplicity of the actual Rx lens will help keep cost down. What I DON'T like about this option is having to view through two separate lenses although I haven't actually tried it.

Can anyone who uses the ICE system comment and I'd love some other options (w/ links and prices) as well. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Oakley has a huge selection available with prescription lenses. Prices vary depending on the style and the prescription. If you're a public safety type, you're eligible for a discount on selected styles.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
I currently use my normal eyeglasses but I know this is dangerous and I'm looking for a better option.
This is dangerous? I was told that polycarbonate prescription glasses are just as effective as shooting glasses, assuming you wear eyeglasses that provide decent coverage. I usually shoot with my prescription sunglasses which wrap around my face and cover my eyes from that direction as well as the front.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is dangerous? I was told that polycarbonate prescription glasses are just as effective as shooting glasses, assuming you wear eyeglasses that provide decent coverage.
That would certainly open up a lot more options. My regular glasses do not provide enough coverage but a regular pair of eyeglasses with better coverage could at least do double duty as a backup pair if I lose or break my regular ones.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Mine do (provide good coverage) but then I've never been a fan of the smallish eyeglasses. I like to be able to have the full range of eye movements without having to adjust my glasses to see properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts