New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does such a magazine exist for AK variants? I've been looking at a nice wasr 10 but don't want to buy mags that I cannot prove are Preban. A gun show is coming to my area soon and I wanted to know what to look for. Any help? Otherwise I'll stick to my saiga with 10 rounders. Many gun shops around here sell Preban AK mags, but there's notta damn thing on em...

· Registered
2,534 Posts
In 30rd stuff there is no dating system.
You go for steel not polymer, and after research to know what subtlies exist from country to country, ideally stuff that comes from the former Eastern Bloc.
(ceased to exist prior to AWB, so obviously thier mags were made before AWB)

EG: East Germany

Drums are easier as they are more easily physically identified and some carry the mark of manufacturers/countries that were stopped from importing in 89 (beating the AWB by 5 years)

EG: the Chinese 'T36'
(has a triangle with 36 inside it stamped into the rear cover over the winding key, were blocked in the import ban and only produced up until around 91~92 regardless)

There are others, but that is one of the more common.
You're going to pay a premium for them though as they are drums, in limited supply, and highly desirable nation wide.

Side note: if you're planning on using AK mags in your Saiga you'll need to modify the mag release or they won't be able to lock in (done properly factory mag will still work fine) along with installing a bullet guide or the rounds won't feed into the chamber properly, if at all.

· Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great info, thank you. No prebans in my saiga, I'm leaving that in the sporting configuration for when I hunt or have to travel a great distance to go target shooting. I was considering a wasr 10 at a shop in ER for the local range (which is very rarely open) and is only literally a 1 minute drive from my house. I'd feel comfortable bringing the wasr there with a legit preban mag because it's around the corner and a sheriff I know pretty well helps out there. I know the wasr is nys legal, as y'all know I'm perhaps a little too diligent with the laws... Everyone tells me I over think it too much. Even my cop buddies.

· Registered
698 Posts
I would not condone it and i am fortunate enough to be allowed post ban mags but i am surprised most dont just stamp a pre 94 date on their mags. Leave it to NY to have laws impossible to interpret or enforce. Isn't the burden of proof on the prosecution? I wouldn't want to be a test subject but really how good they convict you when there is no possible way to discern from pre and post ban short of the polymer ones!

· Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would not condone it and i am fortunate enough to be allowed post ban mags but i am surprised most dont just stamp a pre 94 date on their mags. Leave it to NY to have laws impossible to interpret or enforce. Isn't the burden of proof on the prosecution? I wouldn't want to be a test subject but really how good they convict you when there is no possible way to discern from pre and post ban short of the polymer ones!
I will do some digging and see if there has been any lawsuits on prebans. Personally I'm fine with 10 rounders. But the prebans give your gun a badass/traditional look to em! But...that in itself doesn't justify getting a felony.

· Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So not really anyone has been charged as far as I can find. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened though. There was one story of a Colorado man who was in canadaguia with loaded postban high cap mags. I'm sure y'all know about that...

Anyway, I've drawn the conclusion that I'm not gonna buy pre bans and I'm just gonna stick to my sporterized saiga and not worry about it. I do plan on leaving ny in the next few years so I'll enjoy my hobbie elsewhere with-out worry in the future :)

· Registered
528 Posts
Documentation is difficult to come by.

Furthermore, having a paper that says a magazine is manufactured on a certain date is different from having a stamping on the magazine that says the magazine was made on a certain date.

As far as I know, there is no such thing as a preban AK magazine that is preban date stamped (unlike certain types of AR mags).

However, there are certain manufacturer markings that point to preban status, Chinese mags (banned from import before the 1994 Federal ban) and East German mags (no "East Germany" in 1994) among them.

Here's an example of Chinese documentation:

http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/ac...-ak-30-round-mags-niw-documentation-rare.html

Magazines in this condition (NIW with documentation) are quite rare so it's better for you to learn the origin stampings rather than waiting for papers from comrades.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.