New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think answerr is no but thought I'd ask anyway. Can preban 30 round 5.56 mag be changed to 25 round 6.8 SPC (and still be legal in NY). I know follower needs to be replaced and spring cut. Not sure if anything else needs to be changed (e.g. Feed lips, etc). Thanks.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I believe the SPC magazines are wider, too. You'd have to get a new mag body, which is a no-no, or figure out some way to press the ribs wider.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
The magazine would still be legal, the only question left is it modable to your caliber. I believe it is,what it takes to do it is unknown to me.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I "think" you can , you'll have to do a center feed.

·
Registered
573 Posts
You might want to check the legalities of the conversion while you are at it. I was looking at altering some magazines to fit my Marlin Camp 9, and there was mention of the magazine being required to still work in the original weapon for it to remain as a pre-ban magazine. Now, that was YEARS ago, and I think it was in reference to the Fed. Ban, but it's something to keep in mind, and look into.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
If it's an AR mazine and it's modified to work in an AR, I don't see the problem, myself, especially when it could still be used in a .223 AR, if not particularly reliably. Thing is, it has to work in the original gun, but I do believe that there's no requirement that it can't work in other guns, as well.

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts
More than a few rounds of 6.8 in a 5.56 mag will bulge it out so it will not go into the magwell of the lower. 6.8 mags have different ribbing and use different followers.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Lol, that was the point of the post...
And my point is that he is looking to a rather grey area. Yes, the magazine should FIT in the original rifle, but it may not FUNCTION in that same rifle it was made to feed. The base plates on every 5.56 and .223 magazine I have ever seen listed the caliber they were made for. The claim can be made that by modifying the magazine to be loaded with a different caliber, he has in fact manufactured a new, post ban magazine.
To alter my Marlin mags, all I had to do was add a notch, but if I had converted them to a different caliber, they would have no longer functioned in the original weapon, thus making them illegal.

He asked about the legality of doing the conversion, I pointed out that it may have to still function in the old caliber for it to be legal. Just because it starts life as a pre-ban mag doesn't mean it remains one after the modification. I was trying to give a gentle prodding for him to dig up the requirements, and make a choice based on the risk he was willing to accept.

If it's an AR mazine and it's modified to work in an AR, I don't see the problem, myself, especially when it could still be used in a .223 AR, if not particularly reliably. Thing is, it has to work in the original gun, but I do believe that there's no requirement that it can't work in other guns, as well.
This is the point, right here. I can build a 9mm AR, and modify Uzi magazines to work with it, and be legal because they will still work in the Uzi it was designed for. If I modified 9mm Uzi magazines to work in a .45 cal AR build, they would be illegal because they would no longer function in the original weapon, even if they did fit. I did not know if the modification required to make them function in a 6.8 would make them non-functional in a .223 chambered weapon.

The question is, "Will a DA with an ax to grind consider a different caliber of the same type of weapon to be a different weapon?"
My guess is "Yes" because a DA is going to read the law in a way that is favorable to their case, and another charge tacked on is another charge they can deal away, and still get a conviction. Again, this is dancing in the grey areas of the NYS AWB, so tread lightly, and don't blame anyone but yourself if you get in **** for it.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I did not know if the modification required to make them function in a 6.8 would make them non-functional in a .223 chambered weapon.
The 6.8 mag should actually be able to fit and function with 5.56 loaded, though you're likely to encounter quite a few jams. So unless they mean function without jamming, should be good, but otherwise that makes quite a few otherwise legal magazines illegal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts