New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, the goods:

Preban Parsons Precision 30 round magazine outfitted with a Magpul Gen3 yellow follower (new follower has been travel tested).

Parson's Precision was bought out by Center Industries in the 1980s.

This magazine failed my for-sale inspection because it does not have all four baseplate locking tabs.

Second, thoughts on the closing of the preban magazine loophole.

First off, this has nothing to do with politics or recent events in CO. It has everything to do with entropy.

A while back TACOM sent out a rather jarring notice to the US Army decrying the use of plastic magazines ("LCMC MI 12-021 M4-M16 Improved Magazine and the Use of Commercial Magazines"). While folks in the Free States were up in arms about whether the Army hated PMAGs or not, I was reading something different. Hidden in the body of the letter was this little mnemonic gem:

"tan-is the plan, green-start to lean, black-take it back." Magazines with the black follower are the oldest and should be turned in to your unit supply sergeant or local supply point.
The US Army is probably the greatest single repository for preban magazines anywhere. And since most preban magazines were issued with black followers, this means that such magazines are being phased out of the Army's inventory. At best we can hope they will wind up in the hands of the private market following an honorable discharge. It's a good thing in the short term (with no downside as those mags were never in civilian circulation to begin with).

Bottom line is, as the military consciously phases out magazines from the preban era, we may see a slight increase in the preban magazine supply. But ultimately, the supply of preban magazines will decrease and once the military phases them all out, the best shot for such magazines will become looney-uncle-jebediah's--smelly-boxes-from-the-garage. It's not a pretty picture.

If I said "get 'em while you can" I wouldn't be telling you anything new. But I believe the days when there are no preban magazines to be had at any price might be coming sooner than we think.

Eligibility & Rules for Entry:

1) You must be a member of NYfirearms.com, with at least one post, prior to 7/24/12.

2) Post in this thread. Multiple replies are ok, but you'll only be entered once, no matter how many times you post.

3) Karma will close on 7/27/12 at the time of my choosing. Winner will be notified by PM and post announcement between 7/27/12-7/28/12.

4) Winner must reply with valid USPS address within 24 hours of notification or another winner will automatically be drawn.

5) Previous Karma winners are eligible to enter.

6) Once you receive your magazine, please reply to this thread saying you received your winnings.

7) Offer good only where legal.

Good luck to all entrants and remember to follow the rules or your entry will be disqualified.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I'm in

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Please add me to the list. Thanks LDD!

·
Registered
383 Posts
In, Thanks!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
LDD, I'm in, because 500+ Pre Ban mags are just not enough!!!

:eek:oh:

Thanks!!

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I'm in.

I'm not sure it is a "loophole" though. Just the the gun show "loophole" isn't one. It isn't really a "Clever way to get around a law", it's more or less required.

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
I'm in

1 - 20 of 66 Posts