New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were to inherit or purchase a gun that has two or more "evil" features and if you found out the gun was made during the ban, is it legal to own IF you have the mod's done to make it NYS compliant? I'm just wondering as I've been looking around the internet and I see a few that are iffy on different for sale/auction sites.

If you see a gun that is a no-no for sale in another state and you wanted to buy it and have it shipped here, could that be done IF the FFL that is doing the transfer either does the mods OR that FFL sends it to a gunsmith to have the mods done before the transfer is completed?? It's probably been asked before, but figured I'd ask as I'm just curious if that is even an option. I'm not looking at any myself, but seeing what's out there and all, could this be an option to get a gun at a cheap price? I realize any hi cap mags would have to stay where they were but what about the gun?

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
example, a post ban AR15 with a bayo lug and threaded barrel?

FFL shaves off the lug and then welds the muzzle brake onto your rifle and you are SET, perfectly fine to make rifles compliant, just don't go out carting it around more then you have to while it is not yet compliant, if it is being shipped, ask the FFL to do it for you if they accept it, if you are doing it face to face get it fixed ASAP or bring it to a TRUSTED gunshop to do it for you and explain the situation either way is ok. They typically call rifles MADE into compliant rifles "neutered" guns lol

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
example, a post ban AR15 with a bayo lug and threaded barrel?

FFL shaves off the lug and then welds the muzzle brake onto your rifle and you are SET, perfectly fine to make rifles compliant, just don't go out carting it around more then you have to while it is not yet compliant, if it is being shipped, ask the FFL to do it for you if they accept it, if you are doing it face to face get it fixed ASAP or bring it to a TRUSTED gunshop to do it for you and explain the situation either way is ok. They typically call rifles MADE into compliant rifles "neutered" guns lol
Thank you as well as the others that have answered. The example you provided is perfect!! That's actually one gun I've been looking at, since I don't own any "black guns" at the moment, and I've seen a few on auction sites that were really good prices BUT I really wasn't sure if purchasing the non-compliant gun was legal in the first place. I would of course have the mods done to it to make it NYS compliant as I would have to have it shipped to an FFL for the transfer anyways. I love this forum!! The members ROCK!!!

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Thank you as well as the others that have answered. The example you provided is perfect!! That's actually one gun I've been looking at, since I don't own any "black guns" at the moment, and I've seen a few on auction sites that were really good prices BUT I really wasn't sure if purchasing the non-compliant gun was legal in the first place. I would of course have the mods done to it to make it NYS compliant as I would have to have it shipped to an FFL for the transfer anyways. I love this forum!! The members ROCK!!!
No problem, call up your favorite local gun shop and ask them if they can make an AR complaint for you if it is purchased with a bayo lug and/or a threaded barrel, most decent shops will work with their customers to get things squared away, this wouldn't be the first rifle ever that was made NYS compliant, and it won't be the last, just make sure you specify to ship without the magazine. Hope to see pictures of a tacticool rifle under your name soon, good luck.

·
Registered
753 Posts
With the gun it would be as easy as having the gun shop outside of NY was willing to either ship the gun to NY (could be problematic unless they classify it as a LEO/Military purchase) and have the work done by a gunsmith prior to selling to a NY resident or you could have the gunshop neuter the firearm prior to shipping and have it included in the purchase price. Some will offer you a payment option like shipping a check/money order and once they receive it they will perform the work and then call you prior to shipping. That's how I was explained by my local gunshop when I was asking them about an AR.

·
Registered
753 Posts
The price of modification wouldn't be much at all. At most, to shave a bayonet, pin a stock, and weld the flash/muzzle shouldn't be more than $75 worth of modification. If you call up a gun shop you'd like to get the work done at, more than likely they will give you a very reasonable price.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Mind you, FFLs have the right to refuse to take in a non-compliant firearm. It's their shop. However, you will find many are mistaken in that they believe they are not allowed to take in a non-compliant firearm. In NYS the shops are allowed to have non-compliant firearms in their inventory, they just cannot sell them to you or I. So it may be hit or miss when you ask your local shops

You can always have it sent to someone else for the work (like Adco Firearms LLC AR-15, M16, M4 Carbine Gear, Parts, Accessories.) and then have it shipped to you. Or just find another local shop that WILL do it. Usually if you find one or two that wont there are also one or two that WILL.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Another plausible and legal way to do it:

Have lower receiver shipped to FFL without a stock if carbine type, have upper receiver and stock if carbine type, shipped to you.
Get compliance mods done and go pick up lower to assemble your now OK rifle.

Upper is considered parts, and as long as you don't have a spare post ban lower floating around that it 'could' be assembled with, (and a reason for LEOs to kick in your door to search to begin with) you're fine with posession of the evil scary booger monster stuff on the seperate item.

It won't save you any $, and in fact shipping 2 packages will indeed cost more, but, it goes a long way toward easing the concerns of a reticent FFL and gives you the option of shopping around for getting the work done or doing it yourself instead of being stuck with George's Gun Shop Storefront and Hobby Machine Shop In The Back That Needs Paying Off Emporium, home of the $159.95 15 day compliance processing package and no other way out of it because dude has your whole rig and refuses to release even part of it to you.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
^That's my route. I'm my own machinist, thankyaverymuch. No need to have backyard bubba doing it when I'm perfectly capable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts