New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up 3 Colt/Universal 20 round mags from a FFL dealer off of Gunbroker.com and after doing some research I know they were manufactured from '69 thru "71...I have the receipts from the dealer but my concern is using them and getting hassled if a over zealous person without the proper knowledge decides that I am using illegal mags in my NYS legal post-ban AR. So my question is...how do I prove that these are pre-ban mags...there are no external markings just the colt symbol and the info on the floorplate....I don't want my carbine confiscated and have to spend time and money to get it back because of ignorance on the part of Big Brother

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
Safest ones are externally date stamped.

Floolplates people swap out. Either to upgrade them or to make an illegal mag a "preban" (which isn't true).

That said , aluminum straight 20rnd mags are safest for range use aside from the date stamped variety.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
most cops don't really know the gun laws from the ones I have spoken to, anyone at your local range should not cause an issue either unless you were shooting a full auto 30 round mag

·
Banned
51 Posts
act the floor plate is the part that states weather it is pree ban or not lets just say u by accedent ran over ur preban mag with a car and broke everything but the floor plate u can thn put it onto another aluminum body and that mag then becomes pre ban or if u need to change the spring in one u can as long as u have th preban floor plate u are good just like i can take my ruger sr22 and switch the post ban rciver out with a prban one and th whole gun becomes pre ban bc the reciver "gun" is preban

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
act the floor plate is the part that states weather it is pree ban or not lets just say u by accedent ran over ur preban mag with a car and broke everything but the floor plate u can thn put it onto another aluminum body and that mag then becomes pre ban or if u need to change the spring in one u can as long as u have th preban floor plate u are good just like i can take my ruger sr22 and switch the post ban rciver out with a prban one and th whole gun becomes pre ban bc the reciver "gun" is preban
Seriously?

·
Banned
51 Posts
yes im not saying on all mags its on floor plate but almost all that i have seen some gunshops even sell just the floor plates just so u can preban ur currnt mags just make sur ur mag shell isnt dated or marked to conflict the floor plate

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
No.

The body of the Magazine is what determines age.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
no im telling u its not always not at all
Wether the date is on the floorplate, magazine, follower, spring, etc. the part of the magazine that has to be pre-ban is the body. You can put in new springs, followers, floorplates and all that jazz, but the body must be pre-ban.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
no im telling u its not always not at all
Post documentation that supports your claim then.

And PLEASE, try using punctuation, proper grammar and English. My eyes are starting to bleed!

·
Banned
51 Posts
sry lt me corrct my selfe i got them backwerds i said foot plate when i ment shell ... their have been rar cases where i have seen the dates on the bottem foot plate tho but not usly

·
Banned
51 Posts
i flip floped it my mistake and as for gramer an spelling i am horrible so i apolligise for that guess i fell asleep in 2nd grade during that lesson lol

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Stop spreading bad information. You have no idea what you're talking about. Read and learn a little instead of spouting off about things you have no clue about.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
And start using punctuation and a spell checker or you're going to end up banned.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
...your honor, I didn't shoot that person, he just happened to run into the line of fire...
...and unfortunately that went on for 30 consecutive times....
...but if you look closely my floor-plate says preban....

LOL

·
Registered
528 Posts
I did a post on this a while back:

http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/ar-15/20086-straight-dope-straight-twenties.html

Check the last photo in the thread. The locking spring is riveted to the body of the magazine, so it would be really hard to fake.

Swapping baseplates is no protection, especially if the body of the magazine has postban markings. If ANY part of your magazine has postban markings it's a good bet that you will be taking a ride down to the station to explain yourself.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts