New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so this is probably a stupid question, but whatever... I have about sever or more pre-ban magazines that I'm bringing back with me (since they were unclaimed over here) and they are all dated (except one, but it looks old) so I know they are pre-'94. My question is though, since some of them say, "For Military/Law Enforcement Use Only," can I sell them to the general public such as you guys? Or must I only resort to selling them to Military and Law Enforcement only? Not all of the magazines say it, but some do. If I can sell them all, I'd prefer selling them to forum members since they are somewhat easy for me to "tactically acquire" under the unwritten rule/quote of the Army. ("There's only one thief in the Army, everyone else is just trying to get their **** back.") I can get some still packaged every now and again, but mostly used. I don't have an AR and where I'm located in NC with no magazine limit, I can use any magazine I find. So I don't "need" pre-ban magazines until I visit my buddy in NY and until I get an AR of course. Haha. But if anyone knows FOR SURE, please, post and let me know.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
If they say "For Military/Law Enforcement Use Only" they are not pre-ban; there were no M16 magazines made prior to the ban with that stamped on them. But, that said, you can sell them to the general public provided they are legal, ie in non-ban states, where you are selling it to.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Oh and it is pretty rare to find pre-ban mags in service nowadays, maybe if you get some off of some National Guard guys - I stole all the rest :D

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
If they were pre-ban, even though they said LEO/Military, I think that would have no bearing to who you sell them to. Why? The EOTech sights say the same thing. (Even look at the S&W M&P15...military and police. :p)

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If they say "For Military/Law Enforcement Use Only" they are not pre-ban; there were no M16 magazines made prior to the ban with that stamped on them. But, that said, you can sell them to the general public provided they are legal, ie in non-ban states, where you are selling it to.
Okay, the ones that aren't stamped with dates are the ones that have the "military/law..." so I'll just leave those.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the answers guys, just wanted to know so I don't get any trouble sent my way. But yeah, I definitely found quite a few already, got them packed up. I'm sure I'll find some more. :)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
LEO/Military, I think that would have no bearing to who you sell them to. Why? The EOTech sights say the same thing
Difference is the mags say for law enforcement and military use only, while the Eotechs just say for law enforcement and military.
The 'only' on the mag bodies means literally only for MIL or LEO while the lack of 'only' on the sights means suitable for MIL and LEO use, but not restricted to those uses.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Its been a few years but are the LEO and Military only markings on the magazine bodies or on the base plates? As far as military costing tax payers that is not exactly true necesarily. I am not condoning or justifying but the military personell are responsible for their gear and will have to pay for any gear missing.

·
Registered
913 Posts
leo/millitary is marked on the side of the BODY. and from what iv heard there are tons of mags stacked up in rooms. replace your old post pan with prebans when they come aross em. mags are lost or discatded quite often in Irac i bet

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Difference is the mags say for law enforcement and military use only, while the Eotechs just say for law enforcement and military.
The 'only' on the mag bodies means literally only for MIL or LEO while the lack of 'only' on the sights means suitable for MIL and LEO use, but not restricted to those uses.
Ah good to know. In the free states though I do not believe that LOE/Mil mags are restricted after the ban though...

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
It's good your weeding out the old worn out mags, our fighting men should have all new accessories.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice attitude, I see its not just the theiving politicions that make our taxes go up. I guess we support our troops in more ways than one.
I'm not really stealing. It's whenever I find ones unclaimed. We usually find them all over and ones that aren't recent in date, typically get tossed. Whether they are good or not. So since they are only going to toss all the ones over here, I decided to keep them.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
leo/millitary is marked on the side of the BODY. and from what iv heard there are tons of mags stacked up in rooms. replace your old post pan with prebans when they come aross em. mags are lost or discatded quite often in Irac i bet
Yeah, over here you'll find old mags with ammo in them all the time. When units move in and out, they leave what they don't need; often enough, it's mags and additional ammo. I have 23 mags (post ban) full of ammo and some with tracers. We don't even know what we're going to do with them when we leave Iraq since we are the last unit to ever come to Iraq. After us, it's over so we might be going to a range with the rounds haha.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's good your weeding out the old worn out mags, our fighting men should have all new accessories.
They try to give us brand-new mags every deployment, so I don't feel bad about getting the ones that have seen some tours. At least everyone that gets the pre-bans I have can say they've got some mags that have seen the sandbox :)

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Nice attitude, I see its not just the theiving politicions that make our taxes go up. I guess we support our troops in more ways than one.
Before you start condemning a troop - magazines are a consumable item, that are issued without a hand receipt. You don't have to turn them back in, you can if you want but are not required to.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Before you start condemning a troop - magazines are a consumable item, that are issued without a hand receipt. You don't have to turn them back in, you can if you want but are not required to.
100% correct. Otherwise all of these magazines that were "left" here, wouldn't have been left behind if someone seriously had to pay $30+ per magazine. If I had to pay for them, I can guarantee you that I'd never leave one. But, like stated above, without a hand receipt, they are free for the taking so long as they aren't someone else's or on someone else's hand receipt.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I understand about the issue of consumable items. If they are still fuctional, nomatter how they came back into possesion of troops, they are still goverment property. They are to be used for there intended purpose, not sold for profit. Even if they are not fuctional there are proper ways of dissposal, and that does not involve personal profit. I am not condemning a troop, but a individual that should be practicing the values and morals he is said to be fighting for.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts