New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
maybe the mods could make this a sticky? Any basic tips and tricks for identifying common mags (AK, AR, Glock, Beretta 92) could go here as well as requests.

I'll start a request:

I have 2 "pre ban" M1 Carbine magazines (15 rounders), I got them at a gun show but never actually bothered to make sure they were preban, can't find any date stamps inside or outside of them, one has a "SW" stamped on the back lightly, the other has a "U" and besides looking old, I can't tell for certain, any tips or tricks?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Glock mags
G17mags-numbered.jpg
Generations 1-4 = pre-'94 ban
Generations 5-6 = during the '94 ban
Generations 7-8 = post-'94 ban

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
orlite ar15 mags are all preban

glock preban can be told by the shape of the rear of magazine opening (u shape in 9mm seems to all be preban)

all norinco magazines in the united states are considered preban

·
Registered
103 Posts
Adventure Line and Parsons as well as others are ALL pre ban. These companies didn't exist in 1994 therefore all pre ban, makes me wonder why date stamps get so much hype($$).

·
Registered
528 Posts
Glock mags
View attachment 9494
Generations 1-4 = pre-'94 ban
Generations 5-6 = during the '94 ban
Generations 7-8 = post-'94 ban
This is correct in general, however there are also preban V-notch FML Glock magazines (they look like #4, with the "low" caliber markings, but have the v-notch from #5)

Also there are variations within the shown preban models of Glock magazines (for example, sometimes the metal lining is finished in black, and sometimes it bears a stainless-like shiny finish).

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about AK47 magazines? Anyone have good info on them?

AK74 mags? Being plastic I would guess that there are some marking you have to watch out for because most new production mags are also plastic.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Adventure Line and Parsons as well as others are ALL pre ban. These companies didn't exist in 1994 therefore all pre ban, makes me wonder why date stamps get so much hype($$).
Shooter315, your statement, "These companies didn't exist in 1994" are you saying that they were no longer is business after 9/94? or before? It's a little confusing.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shooter315, your statement, "These companies didn't exist in 1994" are you saying that they were no longer is business after 9/94? or before? It's a little confusing.
I'm thinking he means by the time 1994 rolled around they were out of business or had become part of another company, therefore anything with that companies stamp on it is most certainly pre-1994.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts