New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's the big deal about getting a pre ban ar 15 in ny?

just to keep a bayonet lug,flash suppressor and can put on a collapsible stock ? i'd like to get some input

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
holds its value better and collapsible stock is a great feature. With it an AR can be on size fits all.

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
Yep. Pretty much. The rifle just wouldn't have to comply with the Assault Weapons Ban for NYS. To me the only real benefit is not having to pin a brake on the barrel, as long as the barrel is 16"+ in length. Collapsible stocks are cool for about 20min, otherwise you just have it how you want to hoot.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
You have piles of cash shooting out of your butt and nothing to do with it except spend it on hard to find guns with evil features.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so if you get a pre ban gun you can put any upper on it as long as it has a 16 inch barrel.....right?..... regardless if it has a bayonet lug/suppressor or not

and you can put any rear stock you want.?

as far as mags you still can only use preban mags if it hold more than 10 rounds?

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Correct, Mags holding more than 10 rounds can only be preban.

As far as the preban gun goes all bells and whistles (16 inch bbls or longer) can be had as long as you can afford them.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Principle.

Damn near every other state in the country allows those items.
Accepting the ban here and workjing your nuts off to make a commonly available on a national level rifle 'compliant' so that it can cross some imaginary line in the sand, or not having it at all is accepting 'just one more little restriction for your own good' or 'to save just one child'.

Complaince guns are them claiming to be doing us a favor by allowing even a neutered emulation of EBRs into the sate when they could just ban them outright (doubtful, as they'd have tried already if there was the remotest chance)
Don't you see, they are doing us a favor by letting us have something that at least looks simular to what everyone else can have without issue.

Mabe people want to have a $150 muzzle device on thier $200 barrel without having to permanantly alter (destroy) both to meet some beurocrats) idea of 'safe', but they can't because apparently there is some mysticism where a threaded muzzle will cause everyone to start producing illegal supressors and those who don't will put on flash hiders and go out after every LEO and politician in the state because they are now 'invisible'.
(caveat being LEO can have all the evil features to use on citizens....)

Perhaps someone would like to teach thier child how to safely handle a firearm.
An adjustable LOP stock is of great benifit in that regard, while a fixed length is asking for trouble.

Mabe there's people who would like to have some adjsutability in the precision match rifle they just spent thousands of dollars constructing so that it would be useful over a variety of conditions and terrains/

Bayonet lug?
How about 'accesory lug'?
There's been other attachments that can use that device around for decades such as direct clip on bipods for one, and as of late modular rail sections, lights, etc.
In carbine configuration you can't even properly mount a bayonet on the lug. It'll not protrude more than about 3" beyond the muzzle and can in fact rattle itself right off the lug.
No matter as you aren't supposed to have a bayonet to begin with, so they are basically made the mere presence of a mount for an illegal device illegal also.
Becuase if you can't see it, it can't hurt you. You know, like hiding under a sheet when the boogieman is after you in the night.
Nope the purpose in having complaince EBRs is it pevents joe anybody from having a flash supressed silencer on that rifle thats stock collapses enough to let it fit in a standard Thermos brand lunch box that they can use to stab and slash thier way through a crowd with.

Its all about 'compliance'.
Them trying to make us comply.
Eventually they will sneak right into our lives entirely because we were complacent and complied.

NOTE:
The use of 'you' above is not directed at any one person specifically, but mearly used as a means of making it easier for me to try and get my opinion across.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I think it is less a question of "why do you need" and more of "what is already out there." "Why do you need a bayonet lug, flash hider, etc."? Well, because if I want to throw another upper on most of them come with that stuff so instead of having one shipped to you, taking it to an FFL, paying them to neuter it and taking it home, you just have it shipped to you and put it on.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'm going to throw my hat in the ring with the "can own any upper" argument. I have a couple of 5.56 uppers including one with an 11" barrel and perm attached 5" flash suppressor that looks really neat, a .22LR upper, a 9mm upper... this lets me order whatever I want from any number of vendors and have it shipped right to me, evil features and all. You only have to buy one pre-ban lower to be able to put any number of uppers on it. It ends up being a good investment if you want to go these various different routes. It's great to be able to use one platform for various different competitions that require different calibers, distances, power factor.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
i dumped really all my preban AR lowers.

For 1 preban AR you can almost build 2 identical post ban ARs.

Why care about a stock that collapses when you can have two NEW guns , one with the stock in, and one with the stock out?

only thing that i see as being an advantage is not having to use loud ass brakes. They give me headaches shooting next to people with them for hours...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Having a removable muzzle device can be advantageous if you ever make a change to your setup. When I changed out my gas block, I needed to remove my brake, because it was a larger diameter than the block. Had it been pinned, it would have required either extensive work or an expensive trip to a 'smith; I was able to simply unscrew it and replace it when I was done.

If you never change your gas block (or barrel, or handguard, depending on mounting requirements), this obviously wouldn't apply, but I find it to be rather convenient.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
$100-$150 for a stripped lower vs $450-$900 for a preban, nope, not worth it IMO.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Principle.

Its all about 'compliance'.
Not really. It's about putting up enough barriers and obscurity to lawful ownership of one of the most common sporting rifles in our nation. NY doesn't want you to buy an AR that conforms to their specs...rather, they would prefer you did not buy that rifle in the first place. Millions of free Americans own modern AR's free of the old AWB provisions. Geez, even Wal-Mart is selling Colt 6920's! (in other states, of course)

The provisions of NY's AWB are nonsensical; derived from Hollywood movie myths. Some 45 other states saw no reason to continue the failed Clinton AWB. It would be nice to enjoy the same "evil" features other free Americans do, but I'm not shelling out $900-$1200 for a stripped 20-30 year old lower! No, my post-ban's work just fine thank you.

And miraculously, thanks to the NY AWB, I have not committed mass murder or mob hits. :wacko: (insert massive amount of sarcasm here)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
When I look at anything preban that I have, I think if NY ever comes to its senses unless it has other collector value it will be basically worthless. If NY AWB is removed these $900 preban lowers will be worth less than a new stripped lower.... This wont happen of course because they are soooo evil....

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
To me, pre-ban is still about the gov sticking it to us. I feel like when I bought my pre-bans, there was a guy watching a monitor saying "hahaha, enjoy paying 3-4x as much for that lower receiver!"

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
my post-ban's work just fine thank you.

And miraculously, thanks to the NY AWB, I have not committed mass murder or mob hits. :wacko: (insert massive amount of sarcasm here)
Well duh, its in compliance and you've been corraled.

Any bitch can get an off the shelf state approved as 'safer' one and use it without freaking out, but it takes a real man to have the dicipline and mental acuity to not go on a rampage when handling a true EBR.
You can get a costume for halloween, but it won't make you Batman. :D

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts