New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading and trying to understand how this new law effects my Taurus bought in '86 with 15 round mags. Is this whole gun gonna be illegal or can the mags be permanently modified to hold just 7 rounds to make them compliant. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated as this is my wifes favorite handgun.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
You would think logically that they would allow you to load 7 rounds into your 15 round magazine. Like they are allowing with 10 round magazines currently possessed by pistol owners.

However they might more likely, say they need to be destroyed. Since they are double their LEGAL number they want to allow.

Idk hope someone can answer you better than that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have been reading and trying to understand how this new law effects my Taurus bought in '86 with 15 round mags. Is this whole gun gonna be illegal or can the mags be permanently modified to hold just 7 rounds to make them compliant. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated as this is my wifes favorite handgun.
I believe these are your options:

1) Transfer them out of the state
2) Turn them into law enforcement to be destroyed
3) Permanently modify them to hold only 10 rounds and say you did it before the bill was signed
4) Permanently modify them to hold 7 rounds and say you did it AFTER the bill was signed

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
I was thinking of welding a stop into the mag so it will only accept 7 rounds in essence making it legal, any thoughts anybody?
it is possible to do you just have to trim the spring so that it wont bind up because of the reduced space in the body. Unless you weld the block to the base plate and allow the spring to remain clear of the block (skinny block inside the spring) for the full length of travel.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I can modify them to hold only 7 that is no problem for me. Not overly concerned about capacity as wife only uses it at a range anyways and not for cc. Hopefully others will respond and confirm that this would make the gun legal again.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
You could always dimple the sides of the magazine so that the follower could not pass the dimples too.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think as long as the changes to the magazine are permanent then your good.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
There are two separate issues. The gun being one and the mags being the other. Unless the gun weighs more than 50 ounces, it's legal. For the mags, they are not legal and must be sold out of state or destroyed. So you now have a Taurus paper weight. Congrats!

·
Registered
380 Posts
If you modify the follower or the floor plate to limit capacity, you have to weld or epoxy the magazine shut so it's permanent. If you can open it up and just swap the follower or floor plate out and have a hi-cap again, it's not going to be good enough. Converted 10/30 mags that I have, have an internal block, multiple roll pins put through the bottom/floor plate, and then it's epoxied. It's not coming apart without destroying it.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So if I weld the floor plate into place so it can't be removed it will now be legal. There are many guns out there that have the capacity to carry mags with higher capacity but were sent to NY with only 10 rounders right. It's the mags that are the issue with handguns not the gun itself as I understand it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.