New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Would AR15 uppers and lowers be a good candidate for powder-coating application??
what about barrels?
i am thinking about doing a few uppers and lowers to match- I think the AR platform barrel may be too susceptible to the high-temps that may not lend themselves well to powder-coating.
On the other hand, I have a 10/22 receiver that really could use a new coat of finish, I don't think heat will tend to be an issue with receivers. With that being said, the 10/22 barrel would tend to not reach the high temps of the 5.56 barrel and may make a good candidate for powder-coating.

Opinions, suggestions -.-

· Head Fapper
1,219 Posts
Rather than powder-coat, which is typically a pretty thick finish, and not as durable as you may hope, I'd recommend Cerkote. Much more durable, heat resistant, and thinner.

· Registered
11,402 Posts
I agree with Cossey.
Cerakote is a lot more durable and adds a microscopic thickness behind cerakote. Powder coating will probably be the thickest and beyond what one wants to do. I had it done in some motorcycle parts but not in a firearm.
If you go that way I would make sure to cover every hole very well because it will through your internal diameters and spaces out of spec. Not a bad idea to do anyway but I am saying with powder coating will be very critical that you prepare well.
I would not do it if it was me, other than some specific parts like a safety selector lever we saw the other day someone did for a very special occasion. But maybe there is a way to to powder coating so it is not so thick. I am not sure. Others can comment.

· Registered
1,111 Posts
Ill powder coat just about anything, except moving parts, high heat areas, places that will take a lot of abuse.

· Registered
2,746 Posts
Remington r15 receivers are powder coated. The camo graphic process on them are not hydro-dip it is some kind of film that is then powder coated clear.

My buddy works at a place that does all the remington recovers and handguards for them

· Registered
11,402 Posts
Remington r15 receivers are powder coated. The camo graphic process on them are not hydro-dip it is some kind of film that is then powder coated clear.

My buddy works at a place that does all the remington recovers and handguards for them
Good thing because a few years back I observed the pattern "bubbling" when applying cleaning sprays.

· Registered
457 Posts
+1 for Cerakote. I've been doing alot of this lately here and it's hands down the best aftermarket finish I've dealt with. Went and set up a portion of the shop just for the process it was that good. I used to use Duracoat for the work but the buildup required for a decent finish with that stuff is often too much, and unless you're using a low deposition powder coat it's going to be even thicker.

Cerakote goes on beautifully to a 100grain blast finish and does it so well I can usually dust in a one one mill coating and get perfect(and very durable) coverage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.