New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just happened to be watching the news and saw a clip on postal employees complaining about 5 day delivery, taxes, etc. Does anyone really care if they only get delivery 5 days a week? And should Saturday be the day they cut? vs say Wednesday?

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Congress already passed that they are required to work 6 days a week.

The post office shouldn't be in business to make a profit IMHO.

They should be in business to be able to maintain their service while paying there employees and delivering mail. That's it. I don't understand why they are losing so much money, or why they are trying to profit.....

yeah.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I hate pretty much everything about how the government run USPS is run.

"We will take your package, but if you actually want us to actually deliver it and prove we did our job, that's extra. If you want it to get there undamaged, that too is an extra fee."

·
Registered
398 Posts
There are issues with Congress forcing the Postal Service to prefund pension obligations in a way other agencies don't have to that is at least partially causing this financial issue for them, although I don't fully understand it enough to judge if it's a sob story or some sort of attack on the Postal Service from a vested interest in Congress.

I'm also sure there are efficiencies they could implement, don't get me wrong. However, the problem of government agencies usually isn't the fact that government can't do things right, it's the compulsion of politicians to mess with these agencies for policy or fund raising gain.

A well functioning postal service, to me, is something that probably can't be done profitably or fairly by the private sector, and is one of those things (like road and sewers) that needs to be done to have a well functioning economy.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
The only thing that's gonna fix their problems is laying people off and closing post offices. That's the only way. The grew with an expanding America but now a lot of their functions are automated and there simply isn't the mail load there used to be. People are sending emails, paying bills online etc. They have to reduce expenses to meet with revenue.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Congress already passed that they are required to work 6 days a week.

The post office shouldn't be in business to make a profit IMHO.

They should be in business to be able to maintain their service while paying there employees and delivering mail. That's it. I don't understand why they are losing so much money, or why they are trying to profit.....

yeah.
Profit???? When was the last time the USPS turned a profit?
Probably the same year AMTRACK did!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I've had nothing but problems dealing with USPS. I will take UPS, or FedEx anytime over them.

When I lived in Ballston Spa, there was a huge problem with outdoor items being stolen, or destroyed by employees.

I had to call fraud prevention, who informed me that there was a big investigation going on, and that I wasn't the only one this was happening to.

Now, in SS, I just has a package lost for 2 weeks, and as soon as the vendor who I purchased the item from initiated the insurance claim, it majically appeared on my door tonight....after 4? They deliver here around 11:30 AM.

Cut them down to 4 days for all I care. Does anyone mail paper letters anymore anyway?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts