New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post Apocalyptic Fiction is one of my favorite genres. I also find that good fiction in this category can be enlightening and instructive. By reading these books it helps to visualize the conditions surrounding catastrophic events that haven't happened yet. Besides it's fun to read.

Like any fiction this genre has the good and the bad and if you decide to read some of this genre you'll start to develop a taste for the good work.

I'd like to make a few recommendations;

Lucifer's Hammer (1977), by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
This book is a classic and should be considered required reading. It details a cometary impact on earth.

Alas Babalon(1960), by Pat Frank
This book is another classic that should be a required read. It details life after a nuclear war.

Patriots: A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse (2009), by James Wesley Rawles
Love it or hate it everybody in the prepper community has read it. It details and economic meltdown.

Survivors: A Novel of the Coming Collapse(2011), by James Wesley Rawles
This book is better than Patriots.

Lights Out(2010), by David Crawford
Originally published to the internet as a free novel this story is great. It details the results of an Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP).

One Second After(2009), by William R. Forstchem
This book is another work about EMP. It is very emotional and well written.

Jakarta Pandemic(2011), by Steven Konkoly
Wow!! Great read!! This book deals with a worldwide flu pandemic.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Not a bad starting list!

Alas Babylon is a must read.

Patriots is also a must read.

I was disappointed in "Survivors" I found it a pale sequel not anywhere near as good as Patriots IMHO.

Lights out is good.

I also recommend looking for anything by Jerry D. Young. He has a few books in print but a LOT is available free on forums.

Other books of a similar nature off the top of my head include "Rust", "No Blade of Grass", "Z for Zachariah", and "Only lovers left alive" and that's not even touching alien invasions or zombie plague stories!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Post Apocalyptic Fiction is one of my favorite genres. I also find that good fiction in this category can be enlightening and instructive. By reading these books it helps to visualize the conditions surrounding catastrophic events that haven't happened yet. Besides it's fun to read.

Like any fiction this genre has the good and the bad and if you decide to read some of this genre you'll start to develop a taste for the good work.

I'd like to make a few recommendations;

Lucifer's Hammer (1977), by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
This book is a classic and should be considered required reading. It details a cometary impact on earth.

Alas Babalon(1960), by Pat Frank
This book is another classic that should be a required read. It details life after a nuclear war.

Patriots: A Novel of Survival in the Coming Collapse (2009), by James Wesley Rawles
Love it or hate it everybody in the prepper community has read it. It details and economic meltdown.

Survivors: A Novel of the Coming Collapse(2011), by James Wesley Rawles
This book is better than Patriots.

Lights Out(2010), by David Crawford
Originally published to the internet as a free novel this story is great. It details the results of an Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP).

One Second After(2009), by William R. Forstchem
This book is another work about EMP. It is very emotional and well written.

Jakarta Pandemic(2011), by Steven Konkoly
Wow!! Great read!! This book deals with a worldwide flu pandemic.
I don't beleive it!!! Someone else who's read "Lucifer's Hammer" great yarn and extremely well written in comparison to much of that genre. I'll have to go back and read it again.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
I thought patriots was fair at best. I will have to check out survivors. I will have to check out some others on that list.

This is a different genre but still about survival. I read it when I was a kid. I might have to order a copy and read it again. I enjoyed it when I was around 13.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50.Hatchet

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
In addition to those already listed...

I read this story which was posted on Survivalist Boards as the author wrote it. I though it was a really good read. Going Home (See warning!) - Survivalist Forum Just have to sort through all the comment posts between the author's posts.

Cold Camp is another good one; you can find the pdf version posted online.

Just finished America's Final Beginning; it was meh, kinda goofy story line. Some inspirational and timely political content though.

Also just finished The Road. The writing style was somewhat annoying at first, but grew on me as I continued reading. Not a great book, but worth a read.

How about The Overton Window by Glen Beck. Thought provoking, and a timely premise given our country's current situation.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Also just finished The Road. The writing style was somewhat annoying at first, but grew on me as I continued reading. Not a great book, but worth a read.

Cormac McCarthy is an aquired taste and most of his writings are very dark. On a lighter note, he also wrote "no country for old men" and his best was/is "Blood Meridien" but if The Road was annoying, BM will drive you around the bend. it also got him a McArthur Genius award.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a new copy of Alas Babylon a few months ago. My old copy got lost in a move. It really paints what I believe to be a very realistic scenario.

Lucifer's Hammer is a good read also. Haven't read the others. Thanks for the list!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I recommend not putting these on a nook, cause if a emp does happen, your stuck with a piece of plastic, lol.

THE ROAD was pretty good. Just hope I nor my children have to go through that.

Has anyone read the "wastelands"? Just found it for a couple bucks, wondering if it's worth it.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
I enjoyed One Second After

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
The Survivalist series by gun writer Jerry Ahern. Some of them are a bit difficult to locate since the series is from the 80's

·
Registered
522 Posts
Aside from typos... i agree with the day by day... one second after, alas babylon all good reads... theres another ill have to dig up...

·
Registered
522 Posts
No blade of grass by john christopher... great short read. Eotw due to food /northwest shortage. Crop failure sue to disease

·
Registered
229 Posts
Earth Abides by George R. Stewart - it really considers the long-term post apocalyptic world.

The Road by Cormac McCarthy was a great read - I really enjoy his style of writing.

In the world of Young Adult literature, two books by Susan Beth Pfeffer were worth reading, Life as We Knew It (The Last Survivors, Book 1) and The Dead and the Gone (The Last Survivors, Book 2).

Many of the others listed here I haven't read, so I'm adding a few to my summer reading list - thanks for the thread, this was a good idea!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts