New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi fellas, i was wondering if anyone has seen any porcupines in erie county. i have had one at my creek area for awhile untill yesterday he was hit by a car in front of my house in east concord. i called the local conservationist and they just asked where it was and i told them my address so they documented it is all and said dont touch it. the man asked how long the spine where so i got a tape and the back spines were between 8''-9'' long i asked him why and he stated that he was around 20-28lbs. to be honest i felt bad because he always gets a drink with my ducks, and ate the old corn cobs from my chickens. i hope there are babys around to take his place i know there rodents but this dude was cool. his head was like a weasle size but the splines were black and whiteish gray. i took some photos of him but this phone wont upload. if any sightings from anyone let me know, i googled them and nothing about erie county. the western porcupines are brownish this one looks canadian . any thoughts from anyone? thanks

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I see them dead on the road in the Capital District occasionally.

I have an uncle in NH that hunts them with dogs. One weekend he went a-hunting and didn't get a single one. On the way home, he hit one with his truck. One of the quills ended up in his tire and gave him a flat after it had worked it's way in.

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
Any chance of trapping one and sending it to Grisanti's or Kennedy's office?

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Get rid of porcies, at least if you have a dog and love it.

An old timer at my hunting camp says that they're a protected species in Canada, and that the reasoning for this was that they're easy to capture and kill without a firearm or bow or whatever... the idea being that if you're lost in the woods you could survive on a porcupine. No idea how true this is, you know how hunting camp stories can be.

·
Registered
367 Posts
When I was a kid all the old timers would say that. "Never kill them because if you ever get lost in the woods and need something to eat they are the easiest game to capture and kill." You can pretty much walk up to them and wack them with a stick. They are cool, you see them quite often here on the side of the road. They are pretty harmless except they'll eat up ax handles and stuff to get salt. In the Adirondacks you always had to keep the seat for the outhouse in your camp otherwise the porcupines would eat it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ya, that porci is gone now the coyots are squealing at night, i wonder if they know the turkeys are coming out. there flocks are rising here daily. it would be nice if they would allow taking toms on your own land without any issues

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.