New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Specifically a portable folding bench. I have seen them run from $200ish down to $120 locally but for $45 I could just get a folding table (the heavier plastic ones) and chair at Wally world. Anyone gone the cheap route and found it worked fine or would it be better to plump for the proper bench? Opinions? Experiences? This would be for use at a pretty spartan range (Alabama Swamps range) with somewhat uneven ground at the shooting areas.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I'm going to put in a shameless plug for my uncle's business. He's a retired pilot who now spends his time on the gun show circuit (mostly out west) selling portable shooting benches. I have one of his and LOVE it (not just saying that because he's my uncle either).

He currently lives in Wyoming (the state not the county) but he'll ship them anywhere and I believe it's pretty reasonable. You can see more about them on his website: Home or feel free to ask me any questions you might have about them.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I started with a Work-Mate portable work bench and a folding chair. Now I have a Caldwell Stable Table. (http://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-252552-Stable-Table/dp/B00162PRPY). If is pretty nice and I have been happy with it. It is very well built steel tube frame. It is also very adjustable for shooter size and right/left handed shooters. Currently I just use shooting rest bags, but you could use an actual rifle holder.

Now when we go shooting, I take both, so we can have 2 people shooting from a "bench" side by side.

If you do go with the Stable Table, drop the money on a carry bag, it is well worth it. All of the metal parts are steel, and both awkward to carry and very heavy.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I tried the Wally table route and found it lacking as a shooting platform, however it certainly has utility as a place to lay all my gear out so the money was not wasted. I probably will at some point get a bench thanks for the suggestions and I will definitely give your uncle's site a look castskillkid.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Just checked out that knothole 2000 bench and I really like it! I like that it is just a bench with no robo vise arm dohicky that takes all the skill out of the equation. I don't see a price listed though what does it run?

Never mind I see it is $99. When I do get a bench I think it will be this one thanks for the link castskillkid!

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Just checked out that knothole 2000 bench and I really like it! I like that it is just a bench with no robo vise arm dohicky that takes all the skill out of the equation. I don't see a price listed though what does it run?

Never mind I see it is $99. When I do get a bench I think it will be this one thanks for the link castskillkid!
No problem. I've been trying to convince my uncle to come back east more regularly and do some gun shows out here. I'm willing to bet he could make some good money on this. He gave me one as a gift fairly recently and I love it! Way better than trying to sight in the rifle off the seat of an ATV...lol.

Again, for anyone who is interested his company is called Knothole Designs (locate din Alva, WY) and his website is this: Home

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
My mom bought me a shooting table years and years ago.All i use with it is a metal folding chair and a shooting bench.Its worked perfect for 20 some years and is still going strong.I like it because its portable,just fold the legs up and away i go.Expensive isnt always the best.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
A Drummers stool work real good for me in my benchrest league, picked it up for $30.00 at a local music shop! It folds and is height adjustable.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I have one made by the Amish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts