New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
when you can get a forged like a palmetto $59.99 when on sale and $99.99 all day everyday I dont see the point of the polymer lowers. In the grand scheme the weight savings are negligible in my opinion. Only reason is if you were trying to build a NYS legal AR Pistol.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
when you can get a forged like a palmetto $59.99 when on sale and $99.99 all day everyday I dont see the point of the polymer lowers. In the grand scheme the weight savings are negligible in my opinion. Only reason is if you were trying to build a NYS legal AR Pistol.
those days are gone my friend, PSA "second" are now $69 when you can get them. The Omni is $39 for now, but that too will change. I'm using mine for a dedicated 22lr.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I dont think I would order one.

But if I saw a few at a shop or a show for half the price of a metal lower I would get one or two to have in my stash, build them up and use them as an extra lower, or for an upper that doesn't use the buffer tube.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
those days are gone my friend, PSA "second" are now $69 when you can get them. The Omni is $39 for now, but that too will change. I'm using mine for a dedicated 22lr.
I like it for the dedicated .22 ~ as far as 5.56 i guess ill have to wait and see how they do. I dont see any issues with them would be strange to see an almost all polymer AR though maybe even one of those carbon barrels also~ curious how much weight you could take off.

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
Arfcom still has a few CavArms lowers for sale. They're GTG

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
poly lowers are ok but dont start extending the stocks fully then smacking the receiver where it mates with the buffer tube with a big hammer and then cry if it cracks.

ive got two poly lowers, they work great.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
for the cost difference I still wouldn't waste my time with them. Not enough benefit over the cost difference.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
for the cost difference I still wouldn't waste my time with them. Not enough benefit over the cost difference.
I got one becasue I was curious and was ordering anyway, other wise, I agree with you.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I'd probably try one on a target rifle but not on a combat rifle...This kid I know just picked up an AR and it has a polymer upper receiver...I've never seen one before...

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I'm planning a 9mm pistol build around one myself.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I used a few of the Plum Crazy lowers with good luck.

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
This kid I know just picked up an AR and it has a polymer upper receiver...I've never seen one before...
Bushmaster Carbon 15, all polymer and have been around for a while.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I just picked up (2) PSA blem uppers from my FFL today. $59 each, ordered them last week when they had them briefly. I can't even tell where it's blemished. First PSA lowers I have purchased and they look decent, better than SA&A lowers I have.

I second the "just go forged" suggestion, I love my glock but I am not sold on poly for an AR platform, especially poly lower parts kits. Good luck

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I just picked up (2) PSA blem uppers from my FFL today. $59 each, ordered them last week when they had them briefly. I can't even tell where it's blemished. First PSA lowers I have purchased and they look decent, better than SA&A lowers I have.

I second the "just go forged" suggestion, I love my glock but I am not sold on poly for an AR platform, especially poly lower parts kits. Good luck
I'm curious why people have an aversion to a rifle using poly when no one has much of one with pistols where the slide usually has more interaction with the poly than a rifle would have. Do people have actual experience or is it just conjecture because it's not what has been used for the last 100 years?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm curious why people have an aversion to a rifle using poly when no one has much of one with pistols where the slide usually has more interaction with the poly than a rifle would have. Do people have actual experience or is it just conjecture because it's not what has been used for the last 100 years?
For me it is the countless reviews from multiple forums online regarding the common issues; receiver extension breaks off and elongation (is that a word) of the take down pin holes. There have of course been other issue mentioned by users but these two seem to be the most prevalent. I will more than likely try a NFA complete lower just for range use but it would not be something I could count on if need be or would put a large amount of rounds through. That is just my oppinion and of course you know there are a few of them on the internet. Good luck.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts

Yeah I ordered 2 2 weeks ago for the same price, just orded 2 more friday and they were $69

1 - 20 of 29 Posts