New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You may have heard about the story of the Dayton father of two who was shot and killed by police in a Walmart store. It seems that the man had picked up a Crosman .177 caliber BB/pellet gun (it's a clone of a SCAR rifle) that he intended to buy.

Someone called the police saying there was a man with in a gun in the store. Police responded and shot the man, identified as John Crawford.

Police Shooting of Walmart Shopper Who Was Carrying BB Gun is Looking Bad

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
It certainly seems like this anti gun "everyone is out to shoot us" idea is starting to stick to police officers more and more. The "Marine" who called this in should be executed by firing squad, hes a ****ing disgrace - I really feel like he knew what he was doing the whole ****ing time.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
I am a bit confused on some of the facts surrounding this story.

Did he take the toy gun out of the box/packaging? If so, why would he do that?

The Marine who called 911 stated that the "gunman" was pointing it at a bunch of different people. Why would he do that?

As with all of these cases, many details are being left out.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
A MARINE doesn't know the difference between a bb gun and a real rifle and the cops all dressed up to the nines high on adrenaline got what they wanted.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Sounds like a good shoot.

Sucks the guy was so stupid they killed him. Darwin award winner.

The tapes will tell the truth, though.

This is a great argument that gun safety needs to be taught in schools, waving around and pointing a toy gun at strangers CAN get you killed.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I'm not afraid to admit that a lot of toy guns look pretty real these days and most AR's have as much plastic visible as the matching toys. I wouldn't be too quick to condemn someone erring on the side of caution and calling the police.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I agree that many airsoft and bb guns looks like the real thing. But why would you take it out of package?? You are asking for trouble in today's society.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
I'm not afraid to admit that a lot of toy guns look pretty real these days and most AR's have as much plastic visible as the matching toys. I wouldn't be too quick to condemn someone erring on the side of caution and calling the police.
I looked up the product after my post just to see what it looked like and it looks remarkably like the real thing (FN SCAR). From a significant distance, I could see how one might mistake that for a real gun, especially if you've never seen a real one before. But we all know that context is import. Let's wait for the investigation report for more detail.. but I still say that shooting first is really not how things should roll.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I looked up the product after my post just to see what it looked like and it looks remarkably like the real thing (FN SCAR). From a significant distance, I could see how one might mistake that for a real gun, especially if you've never seen a real one before. But we all know that context is import. Let's wait for the investigation report for more detail.. but I still say that shooting first is really not how things should roll.
There are quite a few BB and pellet guns that look remarkable real. I have a .177 cal pellet gun that is a clone of a Beretta PX4 Storm, and there's nearly zero chance of identifying the difference at a quick glance or from a few yards away.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
If it looks real and he was pointing it at people, then I can see the responding cops as believing they had no choice but to take him out before he shot someone. With all the shootings we hear about on the news, you KNOW you can't pull that crap in public.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
They suspended. Kid for making a pop tart look like a gun never mind a toy gun looking like a real one....

·
Registered
3,751 Posts

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
That seems to be a general consensus in many of the comments that I have read at the end of many news stories.
Why would you suicide by cop while hanging out in Walmart talking to your woman on the phone? That sounds a bit odd.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts