New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
No joke about the head spinning.

On the evening of August 3, Ruff walked into the 35th District in North Philadelphia carrying a bag containing three guns. He tells NBC10.com that a community member, in a different part of the city, needed help getting them to authorities.
It seems like a police officer would be able to use a more formal procedure to turn in guns to the police department he works for. Weird.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
He was trying to get the money and he should drop the nonsense or if he was trying to help a community leader he needs to identify him.

·
Registered
4,514 Posts
"The man said had this situation happened at his district, the 16th, he would have never treated a person the same way."

Yeah, then why didn't you do it there? Oh, right, you wanted to be somewhere no one would recognize you...

His story may be basically correct but it doesn't smell all that good.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He was trying to get the money and he should drop the nonsense or if he was trying to help a community leader he needs to identify him.
What money are you talking about? The guy he got them from paid kids on the street for them.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Isn't the whole point of this to get illegal guns off the street from criminals and gang bangers...? Then what the heck is the issues with these cops. This guy went out of his way, while off duty to do this. He should be commended for this not hung out to dry.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
he said. “I couldn’t believe that the people that I call my brothers would treat me this way.”

IDIOT, How about that treat anybody like that!!!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
idk, this may be the only way to make a buy back effective (temporarily that is). If some guy is buying them from kids on the street he truely is taking guns from criminals. But why not have the cops create a formalized program rather than this guy working with a regular joe. it seems fishy to me. But it appears the officer had good intent. He could have sent an undercover cop to the guys house to pickup guns, no need for him to do it himself.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
What money are you talking about? The guy he got them from paid kids on the street for them.
I don't know the specfics of Philly's program, but here in NYC we have an annonymous gun turn in program. Any day, any time, any precinct, $100 for handguns or "assault rifles" no questions asked. Idiot cops get caught every so often trying to collect money on either old guns of their own or guns they found on the street. I'd bet a paycheck that is the case here.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Any day, any time, any precinct, $100 for handguns or "assault rifles" no questions asked.
I originally assumed this was some sort of "buyback" program as well, but couldn't find anything in the article stating it was. If it was actually part of some buyback program, now any criminals who want to turn in an illegal gun will see that even a cop can't turn one in without getting hassled. That's part of what made my head spin a bit. The whole thing seems pretty sketchy as reported.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Cops should turn in illegal or unwanted guns for free... one less out there in the hands of someone you could meet one day under less than desirable circumstances.

If he is turning them in for someone else, then identify him... (or her). If they committed a crime by paying for them so they could be turned in, then some discretion on the part of the DA if he buys the story fixes it...

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I don't understand why he wouldn't bring them in as an officer and just say they were recovered if he was so worried about them being on the streets. Why go through all the trouble to hide his identity?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts