New York Firearms Forum banner

Plinking sites close to NYC

3K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  mantis 
#1 ·
Hello guys,
I live in NYC and I'm looking for a place for plinking. Do you know where I can shoot .22 not to far (within an hour driving) from the City?
Do I need a NYS hunter license to do this?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

#3 ·
Thanks ladder13, I've found a great outdoor range - The Westchester Sportsman Center.

Actually my question was not about ranges but about the places (e.g.state lands) where I can plink. I haven't heard of the range allowing shooting cans, for example.
I'm shooting .22 rifle (had not got my pistol license yet)

#10 ·
Target shooting is not allowed there according to the DEC website.

Cranberry Mountain WMA - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

"The following acts are prohibited:

• Use of motor vehicles except in designated parking areas.
  • Parking of motor vehicles beyond the limits of a posted quota or outside the designated parking areas.
  • Discharge of a firearm except at legally huntable wildlife.
  • etc..."

#14 ·
Sportsman Center at Blue Mountain, 183 Watch Hill Road, Cortlandt Manor 10567 (Westchester county - above Ossining but below Peekskill)
My notes say Thurs and Fri 10am-3pm, Sat 10am - 4pm, Sun 11am-4pm. It's very reasonably priced and outdoors. 914-862-5280
It is a state/county owned property.

#19 ·
Hey guys Im new here and just moved back to the state. Do I have to bring in some sort of paperwork when I bring my own firearms to a range here in NY? Im interested in going to Blue Mountain. I came from Texas and its just pay-and-go but of course this is New York...
Thanks for the info.

#20 ·
If you want to shoot handguns at Blue Mountain then you need to bring a NY pistol permit. If you are shooting long guns, you don't need anything. For the 100-200 yard rifle range they make you write your driver license number on a piece of paper though. The rifle range is 1 round in the mag at a time, bench rest only. Other than that, it's a great range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.