New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
I live in NYC and I'm looking for a place for plinking. Do you know where I can shoot .22 not to far (within an hour driving) from the City?
Do I need a NYS hunter license to do this?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
There's an indoor range at Coyne park in Yonkers, and the outdoor range in Ardsley. Coyne Park can be found on the internet, the Ardsley range is 914-693-9755. Pm me if you need help.

Are you shooting pistol or rifle?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's an indoor range at Coyne park in Yonkers, and the outdoor range in Ardsley. Coyne Park can be found on the internet, the Ardsley range is 914-693-9755. Pm me if you need help.

Thanks ladder13, I've found a great outdoor range - The Westchester Sportsman Center.

Actually my question was not about ranges but about the places (e.g.state lands) where I can plink. I haven't heard of the range allowing shooting cans, for example.
I'm shooting .22 rifle (had not got my pistol license yet)

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Thanks ladder13, I've found a great outdoor range - The Westchester Sportsman Center.

Actually my question was not about ranges but about the places (e.g.state lands) where I can plink. I haven't heard of the range allowing shooting cans, for example.
I'm shooting .22 rifle (had not got my pistol license yet)
The public range in Cortland is fine, it was refurbed about a year or so ago. Usually, unless there's a big crowd and shooters waiting, they let you shoot well past the hour you pay for.
I believe you can "plink" at Ninham Mountain which is located in Putnam County, the Town of Kent. There's some areas close to the road where it's not allowed, but clearly marked. The land is about 1,000 acres and you can easily find a spot to "plink" in the interior areas away from the public.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I believe you can "plink" at Ninham Mountain which is located in Putnam County, the Town of Kent. There's some areas close to the road where it's not allowed, but clearly marked. The land is about 1,000 acres and you can easily find a spot to "plink" in the interior areas away from the public.
According to the DEC website you can't target shoot at Ninham Mountain. I'm pretty sure all state lands are closed to target shooting in Putnam.
Part 74: Public Use In Certain Multiple Use Areas - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

I always thought target shooting was prohibited on all state lands in Putnam and Dutchess. West Mountain State Forest in Dutchess isn't on that list though, maybe some others aren't either. Maybe somebody else knows what the deal is at West Mountain.

Buddhist, you can target shoot on many (but not all) state lands across the river, and there are a few decent spots (as well as rules) that have been mentioned in other threads. Just clean up the thoroughly when you're done. The closest spots that I know of are more than 2 hours from the city.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
According to the DEC website you can't target shoot at Ninham Mountain. I'm pretty sure all state lands are closed to target shooting in Putnam.
Part 74: Public Use In Certain Multiple Use Areas - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

I always thought target shooting was prohibited on all state lands in Putnam and Dutchess. West Mountain State Forest in Dutchess isn't on that list though, maybe some others aren't either. Maybe somebody else knows what the deal is at West Mountain.

Buddhist, you can target shoot on many (but not all) state lands across the river, and there are a few decent spots (as well as rules) that have been mentioned in other threads. Just clean up the thoroughly when you're done. The closest spots that I know of are more than 2 hours from the city.
Ninham Mt can be a pain. i hunted there for many years, and the locals think it's their county park, so you'll have loving couples strolling the paths even during hunting season. the ranger there (at least when i was going) was a bit tighta--ed. I got a parking ticket there, beleive it or not I wouldnt go around plinking though.

·
Registered
149 Posts

Does anyone know if the range in Ardsley is open to the public? Everything I see online says its a Police range.

·
Registered
410 Posts

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Does anyone know if the range in Ardsley is open to the public? Everything I see online says its a Police range.
It's not just for police, everyone shoots there. They sell/promote yearly memberships, but will allow you to try it out for a few hours. My good friend Gerard runs the place, tell him Mike sent you, there'll be no problem. PM me for further details.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Target shooting is not allowed there according to the DEC website.

Cranberry Mountain WMA - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

"The following acts are prohibited:

• Use of motor vehicles except in designated parking areas.
  • Parking of motor vehicles beyond the limits of a posted quota or outside the designated parking areas.
  • Discharge of a firearm except at legally huntable wildlife.
  • etc..."
Isn't a squirrel a legally huntable wildlife most of the year?

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Sportsman Center at Blue Mountain, 183 Watch Hill Road, Cortlandt Manor 10567 (Westchester county - above Ossining but below Peekskill)
My notes say Thurs and Fri 10am-3pm, Sat 10am - 4pm, Sun 11am-4pm. It's very reasonably priced and outdoors. 914-862-5280
It is a state/county owned property.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys Im new here and just moved back to the state. Do I have to bring in some sort of paperwork when I bring my own firearms to a range here in NY? Im interested in going to Blue Mountain. I came from Texas and its just pay-and-go but of course this is New York...
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hey guys Im new here and just moved back to the state. Do I have to bring in some sort of paperwork when I bring my own firearms to a range here in NY? Im interested in going to Blue Mountain. I came from Texas and its just pay-and-go but of course this is New York...
Thanks for the info.
If you want to shoot handguns at Blue Mountain then you need to bring a NY pistol permit. If you are shooting long guns, you don't need anything. For the 100-200 yard rifle range they make you write your driver license number on a piece of paper though. The rifle range is 1 round in the mag at a time, bench rest only. Other than that, it's a great range.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts