New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a few 80% ar15 platform lowers and a quality jig. Please point me in the right direction. Looking for quality stuff. Thank you.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I'm going to stick with billet aluminum. I checked the website for ares. Looks like they're in California.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm about to drop the hammer and buy some 80% lowers within the next day. Can anyone else point me in the right difection??? I'm seeing them for $55 right up to $130 each. What should I be looking for?? Thanks.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Tactical Machining, dont waste your time elsewhere. Right now their 80% lowers are on sale at $49.95.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Tactical machining. They're the guys who have been selling these the longest and their stuff is perfected. Not being critical here but I want to let you know that if you're doing this to save money, dont. If you're doing it for other reasons just take your time and have fun doing it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the advise guys, not really doing it to save $. Just for fun. What's the differences between cast aluminum and billet aluminum as far as how much work is involved in machining, and strength / durability? I'm assuming billet is "better" because it's more expensive but why?

I I plan to Powdercoat them when I'm done anyway, will there be any significant differences? Thank you again for your help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Technically there isn't much between cast and billet aluminum. The finish on billet aluminum tends to be a bit better. Tecnically (from having worked in an aluminum factory for a few years), cast aluminum is actually the stronger of the two. Cast aluminum is just that. The aluminum is melted and cast into the desired shape and cooled. Billet aluminum is melted and extruded then sections are cut from the extrusion as billets from the bar. The extrusion gives it a slightly different molecular alignment which in turn provides a slightly better finish. Since it's more expensive to extrude thick bars and cut them into billets for machining than it is to melt the metal into casts and do final machining on the result, billet receivers are more expensive.

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Check this out: (for those who recall the raid on Ares Armor last year)

Polymer Lowers - 80% AR Receivers - Ares Armor

NOTICE TO BATFE GOONS AND JACKBOOTED THUGS: This Product not only complies with the GCA of 1968 but also complies with your arbitrarily and capriciously moved goal post and your unlawful attempts to create law. It is Solid Core and has no Indexing Marks. I DO BITE MY THUMB AT YOU, SIR! I DO BITE MY THUMB AT YOU!

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Looking to buy a few 80% ar15 platform lowers and a quality jig. Please point me in the right direction. Looking for quality stuff. Thank you.
I hope you aren't going to build a "Ghost Gun."

(Full presentation..."Ghost Gun" comments start at 9:04):

Expert commentary and response to the California moron:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts