New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
In Orange all I had to do was have my father type a letter containing make model and serial number of guns saying he was giving me permission to have dual ownership of got it notarized just in case (not sure if you have to) and did an amendment to add pistols to my license.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
In Orange all I had to do was have my father type a letter containing make model and serial number of guns saying he was giving me permission to have dual ownership of got it notarized just in case (not sure if you have to) and did an amendment to add pistols to my license.
Since every county is different the only thing giving this info accomplishes is to make the thread confusing.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Kind of makes you wonder why you get a State Pistol Permit, but this is New York after all. NYC doesn't honor anyone's state permit unless issued from them, go figure. Maybe those North of the Bronx/Westchester line shouldn't honor anyone's permit from South of there? :hissyfit:

Not to hijack this thread but I bought a pistol from someone from Ulster that co-owned it with his Father In-Law so that he could sell it before his death. Having the letter with the permit info and it being notarized is an excellent idea since that's what we had to do to add it to mine in Dutchess. :)

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I got this from ulster county website.

SELLING A HANDGUN
If you wish to sell a handgun which is registered on your license, you must provide the buyer with a dated bill of sale. The bill of sale must have your name, address, phone number and pistol license number. It must also include the make, model, type, caliber and serial number of the handguns being sold, given, transferred, or co-registered. It must include buyers name, address and license number. You are also required to notify the Pistol License Unit that you are no longer in possession of the weapon(s).

Ulster Sheriff's Office > Criminal Division > Pistol Permit Unit

So based on that I am thinking you need paper with your name, address, phone #, and pistol permit #, make model caliber and serial number of pistol or pistols and the person who is to co own pistols name address and pistol permit number. Even though it doesnt say it has to be notarized it might be a good idea.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses. Have to swing by the Sheriff's office anyway to put on my new Kahr CM9. Will report back with info soon.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
It is very simple to do in Ulster Co, but I would always advise that you not have all of your handguns shared on multiple permits. Why would I say that ? I'll explain with a little cautionary tale that happened to two friends of mine, both with Ulster Co permits. These two guys, not family but close enough that they may as well be brothers, combined handguns on both of their permits so that just in case something happened to one of them the other could take possession legally. Seems like a good plan, however the issue arose when one of them got in some legal trouble. Because of the arrest, and because both parties guns were listed on the arrestee's permit, all of both parties handguns had to be turned in. The case was eventually thrown out, and all guns reclaimed, but for the duration of the legal proceedings (over a year if I'm not mistaken) the person who wasn't even in any trouble lost his guns as well. So, my point is that you might want to keep at least your carry gun (if you carry) or primary self defense handgun not shared on anyone else's permit.. because you just never know.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Anybody know the process of placing family members pistols on CCW in Ulster county?

Contact the Pistol Permit Unit @ 340-3639, ask for Maureen. She could best advise you if this practice is allowable in Ulster County. I know NYC and Suffolk County prohibits dual ownership of a handgun listed on a permit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts