New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I'm a programmer by trade and thought it would be a pretty cool idea to create a website that would allow people to submit their NY Pistol Permit Wait Times. This info is averaged and can help those (like myself) who are in limbo waiting and waiting for their permit.

Please take a minute and share your experience. I made sure to make the site user friendly and took the utmost care in keeping the info submitted 100% confidential.

The site is PistolPermitWaitTime.com

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I submitted. Hopefully this will take off.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
So many variables, for instance; it took me 5 months to get mine but one of my sons had his in 17 days and the other son's was just over 3 weeks. A new Judge came into play, very 2A friendly. Votes do matter, get registered. We also got a new Sheriff, very 2A friendly, until this pair were elected getting full carry was nearly impossible, now it's just a matter of sending a properly worded letter. Ass kissing is not required. :cool:

http://nyfirearms.com/forums/pistol-permits/2348-pistol-permit-information-county.html

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have to make one fix where it reports on the County if The County Town combo isn't found.

I used to make mobile apps and there was a site that kept people in the know for the average iOS app approval wait time and I thought that could be cool for pistol permits as well. I know there are a lot of factors so I take the last 18 months of data and use that to get an average so you can at least see how the wait time is trending with enough data. thanks for the positive feedback so far.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for this it will help.
That's my goal. I feel like Ralphie from A Christmas Story checking my mail every day looking for my Little Orphan Annie decoder pin. It all boils down to me needing others helping to share their experience in order to make this a worthwhile resource for others. So tell your friends.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I put in my wife's wait time as that was the most recent. but it wouldn't let me enter my wait time. Said I already entered info.

OK I just tried again and it worked.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I put in my wife's wait time as that was the most recent. but it wouldn't let me enter my wait time. Said I already entered info.

OK I just tried again and it worked.
I made it so you can only post something once every 30 minutes or so. This was done to prevent spammers or people who are Submit button happy.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I submitted my data. One question, how does a person looking at the site find out what the average wait times are?
Easy. The first page says "What's my wait time?" You use those drop downs and date picker to submit your search.

I am going to add something that shows what towns / counties have submitted their data already so people can just quick click on those items to see. This will also let others know what town / county data is still missing.

Like I said before, we need people who already received their pistol permit to submit their wait times in order for this to be even remotely meaningful.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Good intentions but what's the point? It's beyond your control and as soon as you get it you no longer care how long it took.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good intentions but what's the point? It's beyond your control and as soon as you get it you no longer care how long it took.
Understood, which is why I am encouraging people who have already checked out the site to submit their story.

I just added a feature where the counties where we have received data for are in blue buttons at the bottom for quick searching. Thanks again to everyone for their support and for adding their info to the site.

On a side note, I just contacted (today 8/10/15) the Erie County Pistol Permit Office and they said the judge is currently working on permits from all the late March applications he received. I am mid April so not much longer!

·
Registered
479 Posts
This is a good idea, only thing I feel would be a decent idea would be pending submission tracking as well.

That way users can get an idea of when people who submitting similar dates to their own was still pending or have been completed.

Just an idea, i submitted my Westchester and am in the waiting stage. Hopefully I can get a response before the holidays so i can treat myself to a couple gifts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just a question, are you looking for the time-frame after the photo and fingerprint process or do you want to include the time before that process also. I am asking as my wife and myself both have applications in with the County Clerk with appointments in December for myself and March for my wife.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I am thinking the entire process, since i the site there are dates for both of those items

Currently in Westchester it looks like 11months to get the fingerprint appoint and almost exactly 6months for the permits to be approved/denied

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Cool concept. One thing though (and you may have thought of this).

Sometimes, different cities in the same county handle permits differently. For example, in Monroe County outside of Rochester, the Monroe County Sheriff's office does the background check. Inside the city of Rochester, the Rochester Police Department does the background checks. These two agencies complete the background checks at different speeds. Currently, RPD is taking around 14 months (I think). The MCS is taking somewhere around 8 months (I think).

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am thinking the entire process, since i the site there are dates for both of those items

Currently in Westchester it looks like 11months to get the fingerprint appoint and almost exactly 6months for the permits to be approved/denied
Thanks, I went to the site after the post and noticed the fields for both dates.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think it's a great idea if it had a way of truly being reliable. The problem is, for example in my case, I sent in my application in February 2014 and 3 weeks later I was called for fingerprinting. In the mean time, I know many people who applied in late 2013 who were scheduled for fingerprinting like 4 months AFTER me (even though they applied long before me). I had my permit within 2 months of submitting it. Others wait a lot longer than that, and from the same county. So I don't know how you programmatically account for the random variables that occur including the fact that my background check was very fast with a squeaky clean record vs someone with a slightly more complicated one. idk.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Neat idea. I assume you're tracking IP just so that if you later need to clean out bad data you can find anybody who may be spamming it from a particular address. I would think about requiring email confirmation also to help mitigate that, but assure people that their email will not be used for any reason other than confirming submission.

Eventually I expect you to include graphs and a map upon which this data could be placed. Would give people a quick view of which counties are frustrating.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts