New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my permit in Orange county. Like most my was restricted, I am hoping to have the restrictions lift in the future. So I have two questions, has any one been successful in orange county specifically New Windsor in getting there restrictions lifted after a period of time? Also I was wondering if anyone knows any pistol training facilities or classes in the Westchester, Rockland, Orange, Dutchess, Ulster, or Sullivan county areas?

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
We do get folks coming to us by Binghamton for training...I know of a couple NRA certified guys in the LI area...pm me for info

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Davis just started offering NRA classes at there Goshen range. Im sure other classes will follow, since they have the room and own the range :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just got my permit in Orange county. Like most my was restricted, I am hoping to have the restrictions lift in the future. So I have two questions, has any one been successful in orange county specifically New Windsor in getting there restrictions lifted after a period of time? Also I was wondering if anyone knows any pistol training facilities or classes in the Westchester, Rockland, Orange, Dutchess, Ulster, or Sullivan county areas?
You need to wait a minimum of one year. I know someone who needed to get his Pennsylvania LTCF and was denied one because his NY license was restricted. He explained the situation and the judge lifted the restrictions. Only a few counties accept the training you are looking to do. I don't believe Orange county is one of those counties. I would take a ride to Gander Mountain in Middletown. They have many classes that are geared in handgun.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
We do get folks coming to us by Binghamton for training...I know of a couple NRA certified guys in the LI area...pm me for info
Hopefully I will be one of those people. Time schedule is my problem that I'm having since I work nights.

James

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Unfortunately Gander mountain middletown does not offer live fire unless they use an local range and there are only two I am aware of. Davis and master arms..

I would first take a class like NRA basic pistol. The live fire portion is a good way to document you have had live fire training with a certified instructor. If you take this class with a good instructor you will learn alot and get to try different pistols.

This live training satisfies training requirements for non resident permits like FL and CT.

Davis Shooting Sports Indoor Range Goshen NY

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seems like the only place around here is Davis. When I first got involved in shooting I was so turned of by my experience in that store that I swore I would never go back so I joined Black Rock. So I am a little apprehensive about going back to Davis. Has anyone taken a class there yet?

·
Registered
460 Posts
a guy by the name of bob clydesdale did my pistol course required to get the permit, he was a great guy, very smart, good teacher. he is NRA certified in pretty much all the the NRA class such as personal defense in the home, personal defense outside the home as well as the basic pistol courses and many other. i would highly recommend him. send me a PM if you want and i can provide you with his contact information.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I know Bob very well. Great guy Good, solid instructor. Won't make crap up and will train you the right way. Go see him!

·
Registered
81 Posts
It seems like the only place around here is Davis. When I first got involved in shooting I was so turned of by my experience in that store that I swore I would never go back so I joined Black Rock. So I am a little apprehensive about going back to Davis. Has anyone taken a class there yet?
I applied to join Blackrock almost two months ago. Do you know if they normally take this long? Should I assume they just don't want new members?

I don't know any members but live only three miles from their and would like to join

1 - 10 of 10 Posts