New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys recommend that is accessible right now for pistol powder
im new to reloading so I will start with starter loads and I have a glock 29 10mm

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I use Power Pistol for my 10mm.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Its been a long time since I've seen any pistol powders available. If you see anything you can use, jump on it and use it. If you can afford to be picky, let me know where you're shopping.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I like Power Pistol for my automatics as Darth indicates above. Beecroft's in Schaghticoke usually has some in stock.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
do your research on powders that can be used for what you shoot. Make a list and put it into your phone. Then start hitting your LGS's to see what's there. After you buy a few pounds of "whatever you can get your hands on" you can start being more selective.
Personally I have never seen a bottle of Power Pistol in my 8 months of reloading. I have found Bullseye, Red Dot , Unique, Titegroup and Accurate #2. Those are my go to for 9s and 45s

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Right now, its get what you can, go to the store with a list, DO NOT TRUST THE COUNTER GUY!!!
Here are some good powders that will cover a lot of different loadings: Winchester 231, Hodgen HP6, Bullseye, Unique, Power Pistol, WST, WSF, CFE Pistol Universal, Clays, American Select, Auto Comp. Note that not all are the "best" for any given caliber, but honestly, you won't notice too much difference if you are just getting into it. IE, my 9 mm loads for USPSA production run 127 to 130 powerfactor, all those powders will work, but I prefer WST over all the others (there isnt' any data available for it in 9mm, but it works great), recoil impulse is completely different than let's say, Power Pistol which I find loud and annoying, or unique which is dirty and pushy... WIll you notice the difference, not if you don't shoot a lot.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I have 8# of 700x, it's good for my 12ga trap loads and my .45. Try to find something that'll work with a majority of your needs.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Power Pistol was my first powder when I first got into reloading 9mm. You will get more fireball flash than other powders, which can be a bad thing for shooting a night match competition. According to compiled questionnaire results from IDPA national match, the most popular pistol powder is titegroup. I have not tried titegroup, but would like to. After trying several powders, I have settled on Alliant Bullseye for 9mm. 4.2 grains behind 124 grain round nose Xtreme or Rainier, seated to 1.15 oal.

·
Super Moderator
3,236 Posts
After trying several powders, I have settled on Alliant Bullseye for 9mm. 4.2 grains behind 124 grain round nose Xtreme or Rainier, seated to 1.15 oal.
I use this same recipe except I shoot a 124gr. truncated cone bullet in my 9mm. I run Bullseye in my .45ACP also, 4.4gr. behind a 200gr. round nose flat point bullet. I only shoot lead bullets, never run jacketed.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
I've recently been able to get my hands on 5lbs of AA#7 and 8lbs of Promo and have been using them both for 9mm, .38 and .45. Promo is a little dirty, but works great other than that.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I went to buy a pound of W231, which I use for everything I reload. When I got to my LGS the guy said he had an 8 lb. jug, needless to say.... I grabbed it!!!!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
For 10mm you will probably have an easier time finding powder, since it is best with slower shotgun powders like Blue Dot, AA#7, AA#9, Longshot, 800X. Slightly faster powders for 380/9/40sw/38spl loads like HP38/W231, Unique, Universal, etc are more in demand.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Power Pistol was my first powder when I first got into reloading 9mm. You will get more fireball flash than other powders, which can be a bad thing for shooting a night match competition. According to compiled questionnaire results from IDPA national match, the most popular pistol powder is titegroup. I have not tried titegroup, but would like to. After trying several powders, I have settled on Alliant Bullseye for 9mm. 4.2 grains behind 124 grain round nose Xtreme or Rainier, seated to 1.15 oal.
Power pistol is a flashier and LOUDER powder, and in my G20C...fun times are had by all. xD

Let's just say...

·
Registered
146 Posts
My go to load is now 3.8 grains of Titegroup behind 124gr plated flat point. Average power factor of 131 in my Glock 34. With Titegroup a little goes a long way!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I have orders in with several distributors. I get Pistol powder on occasion. Last order had SR7625, H110, Auto Comp , CFE223, Titegroup. Not nearly the amount I ordered but I received some.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have orders in with several distributors. I get Pistol powder on occasion. Last order had SR7625, H110, Auto Comp , CFE223, Titegroup. Not nearly the amount I ordered but I received some.
Where are u located?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts