New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently obtained my pistol permit in Ontario County, NY and wanted to give some information for anyone else here..

June, 2011, Week 1: First week I submitted paperwork to the county clerk with my information, references, fingerprints (obtained in Farmington at the care center where they apparently also do fingerprints - a very easy process, just set it up online and waited a week). At this time they also took my photo at the clerk office for my ID at the time of me submitting my app.

March, 2012, Week 1:
Heard from my references that they received calls for my permit.

March, 2012, Week 3: Was called by the sheriff department. Quickly reviewed my references with me and confirmed some information, asked me if I've had any priors that he will find when he does my background check. Confirmed my currently employment, which had changed since the application, and asked for my employer's phone number and to give him a heads up he will call (called my boss only 2 days later). Those were the only questions he asked when he talked to me, and just mentioned that if everything goes as it should it will go to the judge after that.

April, 2012, Week 3: Received my completed permit in the mail. This is the new laminated permit. I heard in the past they gave you a stamp for your first pistol so you don't have to wait, but there is no such thing with this. You have to buy the pistol, go and submit the information to the county clerk, and then you can pick it up.

Overall, about 10 months of waiting. Pretty simple process, really - hardest part was getting to all my references to fill out the information on my application.

Anyways, wanted to give out the info for any potential applications in Ontario!

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Glad the wait is over for you. Be safe. I live in Wayne co, and on my application i needed 4 references. It asked for address but no phone numbers!!! Does the sheriff actually go to their homes and verify instead of calling or what? I can see that taking more time (5 month wait in Wayne still is not bad compared to say Erie Co) than using phone numbers and just calling them. I do not know if it is true, but i have heard about 45 applications are submitted in Wayne County each week.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts