New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm a little bit unclear about what my options are in Monroe. Here's my situation:

I'm originally from Connecticut where I hold a concealed carry license but I don't own any firearms at the moment. I moved to Rochester in 2006 for school until 2011. Currently I still have my Connecticut drivers license. However, I started a job here in June 2011 and now live and work in Rochester full time. I live in a suburb (not in the city of Rochester).

Am I considered a NY state resident and do I meet the 6 month requirement?

Do I need to get a NY state driver's license before I'm considered an official resident?

How do they verify that I've been living here for 6 months?

Will I need to get 3 character references from Monroe county residents? Will I need to get an additional 3 from Connecticut?

If I purchase a handgun in Connecticut and tell them that I have to bring my handgun with me will this expedite the process?

Is there any way to transfer a CT pistol license to a NY one?

I would appreciate if anyone could shed any light on these questions. I'm not looking forward to waiting six months for another state pistol license.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Am I considered a NY state resident and do I meet the 6 month requirement?
You live / work here full time. Odds are you are, is your primary mailing address also here? If so you should be fine.

Do I need to get a NY state driver's license before I'm considered an official resident?
I'd suggest getting one first but I cannot say if it's a requirement - I would assume so.

How do they verify that I've been living here for 6 months?
I am unsure

Will I need to get 3 character references from Monroe county residents? Will I need to get an additional 3 from Connecticut?
You'll need 4 references from Monroe County AND 3 NOTARIZED references from the state/county where you lived prior.

If I purchase a handgun in Connecticut and tell them that I have to bring my handgun with me will this expedite the process?
no sir it wont help a bit.

Nope sorry. You have to follow the correct process entirely

Lastly 585-753-1642 is the pistol permit office # call them with questions! Or just stop in (sometimes thats much quicker than waiting for them to call you back!).

·
Registered
451 Posts

No. they will just put you in the line of applicants.

No. NY doesnt accept any other license. you will have to go through the same application process as anyone else without a license would.

those are the ones i know the answers to. as far as nys drivers license, dont hold me to it but im pretty sure its required if you move to nys you get a nys drivers license.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Here's MY experience in Monroe ... I am an NY resident, but my NYS DL has a non-Monroe address on it. I'm in the county for school, however (and thus have an in-county residence). I was issued a permit with my Henrietta address on it, with no questions aside from my MCSO investigator ensuring I understood that I couldn't carry my firearms on campus.

You'll need 4 references in the county ... since you've been in the county more than 3 years, you won't need the 3 from Connecticut, but your 4 Monroe references will need to have known you for at least 3 years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts