New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a permit holder passes away, and has two heirs that are also pistol permit holders, none issues by same county but all in NY, what is the process to protect the handguns? Probably the best choice is for us to contact each permit office but is there a time limit we have to be aware of? Also can we take possession of the guns since they are now not directly under the control of the permit holder?

·
Super Moderator
3,241 Posts
I believe this is correct, if a permit holder passes away the executor of the will is in control of the pistols and has 15 days to get them to an FFL or Law Enforcement office where they will be held until they can be added to another person's permit and then released. In Onieda County they will only be released from LE to an FFL so you may as well put them in the hands of the FFL to start. In NY you are going to need an FFL to transfer anyway.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Unless its to late, go the permit clerks office and have them placed on the each others permit, mine are all on my wifes and daughters permits. they can take possesion at any time if co-registered.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe this is correct, if a permit holder passes away the executor of the will is in control of the pistols and has 15 days to get them to an FFL or Law Enforcement office where they will be held until they can be added to another person's permit and then released. In Onieda County they will only be released from LE to an FFL so you may as well put them in the hands of the FFL to start. In NY you are going to need an FFL to transfer anyway.
No will. Only heirs are two sons.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unless its to late, go the permit clerks office and have them placed on the each others permit, mine are all on my wifes and daughters permits. they can take possesion at any time if co-registered.
Yeah, too late, always talked about doing it but like any estate planning, other things come up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts