New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I'm looking to get some advice on what my next options are in regards to obtaining a pistol permit. I'm going to apologize ahead of time because this going to get lengthy.

So back in September of 2017 I applied for my pistol permit I put down that I took regular anti anxiety/depression medication and that I have autism I talked to my family and therapist about it and they were all supportive and did it with me as well. I had a Deputy Gibson call me and said that I had positive marks for my permit process. However, my SO of over 3 years decided to bring up my previous pot usage that I didn't disclose and basically I said that I forgot about it because it happened about 5 years ago. I don't hear anything for about 8 months until May of 2018 when Judge Valeriani denies my permit without any explanation. I then call his chamber to ask why and they say only an attorney can know and I can appeal the decision if I choose to. I get an appeal set for August 2018 with Judge Affronti. Not knowing what to expect I lawyer up with BrennaBoyce Law Firm we go over my details and basically I go and get a pee test and mental evaluation to show that i'm not using drugs and am mentally unstable. When I have my appeal the judge brings up my pot usage and I basically said it was plant and that it was over 5 years ago and not a problem in my life. Then 2 months later in October 2018 I get a reply to my appeal from Judge Affronti saying my appeal was denied.

My question is would it be foolish for me to apply for my pistol permit again and if so should I lawyer up through the entire process. I'm at the point where if I knew they were going to be super invasive in my medical history I wouldn't of disclosed my autism. I also am confused as to why mine took almost a year when my mom and dad got theirs in 3 weeks time.

Any advice or opinions on this will be greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
4,893 Posts
I would say you have a lot going on. I would get all the info you can from the pistol permit through a freedom of information act filing. That should tell you a lot of information on why you were denied. I would also seek legal counsel. What did your lawyer say? Also them telling you only a lawyer can know why you were denied makes zero sense since your the applicant.

I read your post and you didn’t really say why you were denied, dontou know why you were denied? I would guess and this is just a guess that your autism and your mental health issues are what caused the denial. I doubt reapplying would do anything to help you out unless you can figure out why you were denied and address those issues specifically.
Also im not sure why you didn’t think your medical history would be reviewed it’s part of the safe act and you listed mental health and autism in your application. Also leaving out the weed smoking alone is grounds enough for denial. The I forgot response from you likely didn’t help and won’t cut it either. I think the big deal with the pot is you left it off the application.

It’s hard because they keep all this stuff pretty under wraps and it’s completely up to the judge. Are there any other judges that review PP in your county if not I’d say you already have your decision. I would say your autism has a lot to do with it and they may not even tell you that because it’s medical related.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Look at this from the judge's eyes: you are/were a prohibited person and you lied about it on your permit application.

I am not saying I agree with the denial, but in the eyes of NYS, that's as solid a denial as they come.

I was denied my permit because I "lied" about not being "arrested" when I was 16. I was given a ticket and sent home on the school bus (charges were later dismissed), I didn't realize that counted as an arrest. The judge accepted my explanation on appeal and awarded my permit. You've already gone through the appeals process, with a lawyer, and lost. IMO, unless you have a new lawyer that the judge owes a favor to, any more money you spend on this is just going down the drain.

Again, I don't agree with any of this, I'm just telling you what I think the reality of your situation is. Sorry.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.