New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
The process is horrible. 18 months I'd say, if not longer.
I called on 8/17 and spoke to Officer Oversomeothing (can't remember). He said he's got (as of then) about 80 people "in front of me" just for the interview. He said maybe 2 months before I'll get the interview. So 2 months. Then once you get your interview you'll have a separate Town of Colonie permit to fill out (you can do that ahead of time) which requires "explain in DETAIL your reason for wanting a pistol permit".

You can't schedule the fingerprinting until AFTER you have your interview (according to the form).

Once you get your interview, they'll give you the Albany County permit form to fill out (2 copies), along with the character references. Of course, those all have to be notarized.

Once all of that stuff is done, you return to Town of Colonie, which then apparently hands off to Albany County, which right now is 13-18 months (according to the gun shop). So 2 months + 13-18 months = 15-21 months.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So far been 2.5 months, still no callback for interview. I may call today just to inquire. If there were truly 80 people ahead of me and they only do 1 person per day (5 days/week) it'll be 4 months until they get to me for the interview. Eesh. Almost 2 years to get a handgun legally here. Sigh

·
Registered
4 Posts
A friend of mine submitted his in Colonie back in February, called a couple of months ago and spoke to the PO that does the back ground checks, told the same thing as said above, long line of applicants ahead of him. I asked him about a month ago and said he still hasn't heard anything.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A friend of mine submitted his in Colonie back in February, called a couple of months ago and spoke to the PO that does the back ground checks, told the same thing as said above, long line of applicants ahead of him. I asked him about a month ago and said he still hasn't heard anything.
Wow. sounds like they just want to deny anyone the ability to legally get a firearm by just dragging their feet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I will be starting the Colonie pistol permit process soon if the investigator ever calls me back. I was wondering about the neighborhood interview process. Do they talk to your direct neighbors or do they do the entire block? I have a good relationship with my direct neighbors but I feel like this could result in unintended consequences. I don't advertise my firearm ownership and I don't want the whole area knowing there are guns in my house. Seems like it makes it a desireable target for burglary.

Additionally, I heard they call spouses' supervisors. I barely know the person and have no idea what their thoughts on handguns are.

I know this is all a deterrent but it's definitely working in terms of making me think twice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I will be starting the Colonie pistol permit process soon if the investigator ever calls me back. I was wondering about the neighborhood interview process. Do they talk to your direct neighbors or do they do the entire block? I have a good relationship with my direct neighbors but I feel like this could result in unintended consequences. I don't advertise my firearm ownership and I don't want the whole area knowing there are guns in my house. Seems like it makes it a desireable target for burglary.

Additionally, I heard they call spouses' supervisors. I barely know the person and have no idea what their thoughts on handguns are.

I know this is all a deterrent but it's definitely working in terms of making me think twice.
I live in Guiderland and the investigator stopped by my direct neighbors homes, I had already given two of them a heads up so it wasn't a surprise, both are also pro gun.

Also I just followed up with my friend yesterday that lives in Colonie, he still hasn't heard anything from the Colonie Investigator since he submitted his application back in February 2020. He had called the investigator and was told Colonie is down 3-4 investigators and pistol background checks are not urgent and worked on part-time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The first time I called Colonie was already a month ago. The person that answered the phone said the investigator is in school. I left 2 voicemails and still haven't heard back. I'm guessing it will be a 2 year process at this point.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The first time I called Colonie was already a month ago. The person that answered the phone said the investigator is in school. I left 2 voicemails and still haven't heard back. I'm guessing it will be a 2 year process at this point.
Yeah I'm thinking the same thing. Guess my constitutional right to be arms isn't urgent. I hate NY. But have a state job, so I'm kinda stuck here until I can retire then I'm leaving for good.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yeah I'm thinking the same thing. Guess my constitutional right to be arms isn't urgent. I hate NY. But have a state job, so I'm kinda stuck here until I can retire then I'm leaving for good.
Sounds like this is an issue with Colonie, NY not NY State. I live in Westchester and when I applied for my permit it took a total of three months from submission of application to receipt of the permit. Maybe you could move out of Colonie and still have a reasonable commute to your State job?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well wonders never cease. Got a phone call today (Caller ID shows: Police Dept-nvst)
Officer Overocker (maybe with two R's, not sure) had taken my initial call back in August.
Today Officer Sponskowski setup my interview for next week.

Hopefully Governor Cuomo doesn't shut things down before then.

Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sounds like this is an issue with Colonie, NY not NY State. I live in Westchester and when I applied for my permit it took a total of three months from submission of application to receipt of the permit. Maybe you could move out of Colonie and still have a reasonable commute to your State job?
Yes, there is that. Unfortunately I live in Albany County (which is another touch section to get through). Well at least I've got interview scheduled now for next week.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So had interview with Office Splonskowski.
Very nice guy.

Asked some questions like:
where were you born?
How long have you lived in your house?
Work history
Where do you plan on keeping the firearm?
Do you plan on joining any gun clubs/ranges?

Took my paperwork and photocopied stuff, etc.

Said it'll be probably 6-8 months or longer as he has other things to do (understandable) and there's a huge list ahead of me (I saw the folders on the rack). He tries to do about 3-4/week (I think he said 3-4/week vs. 3-4/day).

He said he'll be contacting some neighbors but he won't tell them why as he's of the opinion it's not really any of their business (just say something like non-criminal background check). Which I thought was decent.

I've got the character references in progress (I couldn't do them ahead of time as the way it's worded they have to be dated AFTER the interview).
Setting up fingerprinting today.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Oh, one other thing:
Even though the Colonie form says your ORI is: NY0015300
When you go to the identogo.com site, you'll enter Service Code: 151FK1
(there's a link you can click and enter the ORI# and it'll give you the Service Code as well).

·
Registered
2 Posts
AND we're still waiting. All stuff submitted beginning of April, 2021 to the Colonie Police dept. Not a single peep/word since.
Good luck. I got a call 4.5 months after I submitted everything letting me know he was just starting to process my application. Got my letter from county clerk 2 months later stating my permit was ready to pick up. 7.5 months total back in 2019.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good luck. I got a call 4.5 months after I submitted everything letting me know he was just starting to process my application. Got my letter from county clerk 2 months later stating my permit was ready to pick up. 7.5 months total back in 2019.
Thanks Froggy.
I thought you had to appear before a Judge as well, after the Colonie Police dept. reviewed/whatever and shipped along to Albany County?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also live in Colonie. I met with detective over something(can’t remember his last name) in March 2020. It took me sometime to get my references back so I finally got everything in mid August 2020. The detective called me to tell me everything was in and now it was a wait. Fast forward to July 2021 and officer splunkowski called to tell me that my background check was just finished and now it was off to Albany county to get looked over by a judge. That’s my story so far

1 - 20 of 25 Posts