New York Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Im brand new to the forum! If this question has been answered on here before my apologies for the repeat. I was hoping someone with legal experience specifically regarding this or even any lawyers on here who could clear up something for me? Is it actually legal for me to carry a pistol concealed anywhere it's legal to carry a gun in NYS with having restrictions on my Saratoga county license? (I have Hunting,target,woodland) I know there are so many debates out there about this topic and it's just so hard to find a solid answer on it. I was even told by an attorney that my license isn't even a concealed carry license, that the restrictions mean I can only carry it locked in a case to and from the range and if I'm actually hunting and that's it! Than why does the license say on it "Class/Type: Carry" if according to the attorney, I can only carry/transport as if it's a rifle locked in a case?? I'm so confused and I don't want to get my license taken away or worse-arrested. I know people just say, "well don't get caught that's what concealed means", and I get that and I don't plan on it but I just want to carry confidently knowing the actual laws and what my license allows me to do, if I can actually carry daily.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Hello Im brand new to the forum! If this question has been answered on here before my apologies for the repeat. I was hoping someone with legal experience specifically regarding this or even any lawyers on here who could clear up something for me? Is it actually legal for me to carry a pistol concealed anywhere it's legal to carry a gun in NYS with having restrictions on my Saratoga county license? (I have Hunting,target,woodland) I know there are so many debates out there about this topic and it's just so hard to find a solid answer on it. I was even told by an attorney that my license isn't even a concealed carry license, that the restrictions mean I can only carry it locked in a case to and from the range and if I'm actually hunting and that's it! Than why does the license say on it "Class/Type: Carry" if according to the attorney, I can only carry/transport as if it's a rifle locked in a case?? I'm so confused and I don't want to get my license taken away or worse-arrested. I know people just say, "well don't get caught that's what concealed means", and I get that and I don't plan on it but I just want to carry confidently knowing the actual laws and what my license allows me to do, if I can actually carry daily.

Thanks in advance!
It is perfectly legal for you to carry concealed while engaged in any of the activities permitted on your license. If I were you I would get another attorney. And welcome to NYFirearms.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply togmaster! I certainly plan on finding a different attorney. I figured he was full of it about the locking my pistol up whenever it's being transported advice, but I guess where I'm really unclear of is; what about places other than on the way to the range, hunting, or hiking? What about to the grocery store or walking my dog on the street? Is that legal?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
As tog said...and to add to that, play it safe by always having your hunting license on you orbetter yet..anytime you get pulled over "im heading to the range or target area" ..wanna play games we can play games lol.

aand..welcome to NYF.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess that brings up another question, am I even obligated to inform an officer I have a CCW in a routine traffic stop or only if I've gotten to the point I have to step out of the vehicle and get patted down? (That's never actually happened to me before for the record)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.