New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK...

So I know you can't shoot a person's pistol w/o having a pistol permit yourself.

Now the question is, if I owned a PA pistol permit, for example, could I go to NY and shoot someone's pistol there, or is this not allowed?

I'll appreciate any help towards answering this question,

Thank you!

· Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
silly catfish, this is NY. if ny could figured out how to require PA drivers to get a NY license they would
I'm not good with innuendos, so does this mean no?

I would also appreciate it if someone could offer me where it might state this in the "law book", if anyone has that information.... if it exists on paper.

Thank you!

· Registered
651 Posts
OK...

So I know you can't shoot a person's pistol w/o having a pistol permit yourself.

Now the question is, if I owned a PA pistol permit, for example, could I go to NY and shoot someone's pistol there, or is this not allowed?

Thank you!
Did you mean could you go to PA and shoot someones pistol there? Or did you mean if someone else had a PA permit, could they shoot here?

· Formerly SRV1
4,726 Posts
OK...

Thank you!
Technically the only time you can shoot another NY pistol permit holder's handgun is if you had the handgun added to your permit. Only the person who has the handgun on their permit is allowed to shoot it.

· Registered
5,312 Posts

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Technically the only time you can shoot another NY pistol permit holder's handgun is if you had the handgun added to your permit. Only the person who has the handgun on their permit is allowed to shoot it.
Where does it say this? I know you cannot CARRY pistols on not your permit, but where does it mention no shooting others? Or is it a combination of laws that make this illegal?

· I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,805 Posts
If you are at a club I believe you can fire another person pistol as long as you have a permit yourself as well. But someone from PA with a permit there can not come into NYS to shoot another persons pistol.

· Formerly SRV1
4,726 Posts

· Registered
9,139 Posts
Actually you can shoot a pistol that isn't on your permit as long as you have a permit, are at a range, and the owner is present.

NY Penal Code § 265.20(7)(a). (2010)

7-a. Possession and use, at an indoor or outdoor pistol range located in or on premises owned or occupied by a duly incorporated organization organized for conservation purposes or to foster proficiency in small arms or at a target pistol shooting competition under the auspices of or approved by the national rifle association for the purpose of loading and firing the same, by a person duly licensed to possess a pistol or revolver pursuant to section 400.00 or 400.01 of this chapter of a pistol or revolver duly so licensed to another person who is present at the time.
Just to be clear, PA permits mean nothing in NY

· Formerly SRV1
4,726 Posts
Where does it say this? I know you cannot CARRY pistols on not your permit, but where does it mention no shooting others? Or is it a combination of laws that make this illegal?
Read Terry's link. Our county gave us bogus info I guess. LOL!

James

· Formerly SRV1
4,726 Posts
I believe the previous county judge and sheriff before Cawley and Curtis wrote this up and they never changed it. Maybe Dave will chime in.

James

· Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did you mean could you go to PA and shoot someones pistol there? Or did you mean if someone else had a PA permit, could they shoot here?
I ask because I plan to move to PA in the near future and am wondering if I can legally shoot my father's pistols when I visit him since he will still be living in NY.

It looks like the answer is no unless you have a NYS pistol permit.

I hope this county will let me keep my NYS pistol permit when I leave, once I get it (been about 9-10 month wait so far).

Thanks for the comments everyone.

If anyone else has some useful information on this subject, post it up, please!

· I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,805 Posts
Remember when you move out of state your NYS permit is not automatically revoked. You must inform them of the move within 10 days of moving but its not automatically revoked. You have to be a resident to obtain it but not to keep it, so remember that. If the clerk tells you to send it back in I would tell them to have the judge revoke it because moving out of state does not automatically revoke it.

· Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Remember when you move out of state your NYS permit is not automatically revoked. You must inform them of the move within 10 days of moving but its not automatically revoked. You have to be a resident to obtain it but not to keep it, so remember that. If the clerk tells you to send it back in I would tell them to have the judge revoke it because moving out of state does not automatically revoke it.
Yup, I know.

Thanks for bringing this up though, its a good point.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.