New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
9,700 Posts
My dad worked for National Geographic and has been to almost every country on the planet more than once. He's not a gun guy at all but used to have body guards on a lot of assignments to unstable parts of the world. He told me when the pilot would announce that they were going to land they would ask that anyone with a firearm to point at the floor during landing and people would pull out hand guns and do it. This was in the 60's and 70's but really shows you how far things have gone from then.

· Head of Bacon Operations
3,679 Posts
My dad worked for National Geographic and has been to almost every country on the planet more than once. He's not a gun guy at all but used to have body guards on a lot of assignments to unstable parts of the world. He told me when the pilot would announce that they were going to land they would ask that anyone with a firearm to point at the floor during landing and people would pull out hand guns and do it. This was in the 60's and 70's but really shows you how far things have gone from then.
That's a cool story.

· Banned
5,971 Posts
This is how it should be.

· Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wasn't there a whole movement to get pilots armed?
What's the big deal here?
I thought that all pilots had a gun in the cockpit after all the threats during 911 too, but it looks like this pilot violated a airline rule by carrying his own weapon on his person

· Registered
3,216 Posts
If everyone on the planes from 9/11 that knew how to use a gun, had one, I don't think 9/11 could have happened.

· Registered
1,103 Posts
Wasn't there a whole movement to get pilots armed?
What's the big deal here?
I thought that all pilots had a gun in the cockpit after all the threats during 911 too, but it looks like this pilot violated a airline rule by carrying his own weapon on his person
Yea, that's the way I read the article from the local news website... He had flown like 7 times in 48 hours and never had his bag go thru screening once, and then apparently someone saw it sticking out.

I have no idea how pilots have guns on the planes work, but i'm guessing there's some sort of other measure in place where maybe they sign out for it or something? I'm guessing they would never allow a pilot to bring their personal weapons on board.

· Registered
1,103 Posts
Just curious, what's that do?

· Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If everyone on the planes from 9/11 that knew how to use a gun, had one, I don't think 9/11 could have happened.
I, believe that some airlines had trained their pilots in the use of a weapon after 911 in order that the plane was not as easy to be over taken by terrorists.

· Formerly SRV1
4,726 Posts
That would be true at the time but now I do not think it would matter. At the time of the highjack, the terrorists did not have the technology to blow up the plane like they do now. Now what they are trying to do is arm themselves with explosives that cannot be detected by detectors. They are trying to blow the plane up instead of taking control of it. If the underwear bomber succeeded, guns would have been useless because no one would have known anything. Luckily it failed.

James

· Registered
3,216 Posts
^I agree with what you are saying. I also think that pilots should be allowed to carry if they wish. They can do more damage with that plane than they could with a pistol.

· Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

· Registered
123 Posts
What a joke. The passengers trust the pilot with their lives just by getting on board! It doesn't matter if he's armed. There's some other reason for this arrest than just procedure. He's obviously pro-gun, that's reason enough.

· Registered
2,452 Posts
My understanding is pilots are go through the same screening that us mere mortals do at the airport. So how this guy was able to slip by with with a loaded .357 over the period of 2 days is a bit puzzling... and makes me wonder if this is something he's gotten away with until now.

I see Federal charges for him - but no State charges.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.