New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking at pie irons and know I want to get a cast iron one. I am also thinking about getting the square kind but not sure if I should get a single or double wide one?

I have not been able to find too much info online other then some saying they love the doubles and others saying to stay away from them.

Anyone here have experience they are willing to share?

Thanks

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those are the ones I am looking at but trying to figure out if there are any disadvantages to getting a double one.

The one thing I read is that with a single it can crimp the edges of crust or bread sealing in the middle stuff while the double doesn't do it as well. Just not sure if that is a real issue or just a minor one.

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was liking double to cook bigger things like maybe calzone lol. I dont want too but I am thinking solution might be to just buy both.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I always had problems with the doubles sealing, Id vote for the single, and yeah, when are the pies showing up? :D

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
I've always used a single, both growing up and now, and I honestly can't say I've ever wished I had a double. The pies come out so stinking hot that it's not like everyone is waiting around for their pie to cook. They're more waiting for the blasted thing to cool off!

That and, for me, it was more about the process and hanging out with my family while making it.

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ended up getting the one made in America in the Cast Iron single version.

So anyone got any great recipies or tips and tricks they can share?

Best way to season it?
Do I have to use butter all the time if its properly seasoned to begin with?

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
The singles work better because they seal the edges . After buying both a single and double , I discovered everybody used the single more cause of the sea
ing capabilities . Also FYI it works best to use the " squirt " type butter to lube the iron with. Before adding the bread , and fillings . Plus it's just one less thing to. Pack ! That always helps when going camping !

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
I always hit it with Pam, and butter the bread. The bread will toast better.

We always did pizzas and pies (canned filling). I tried making s'mores once, and it could use some rehashing, but it didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped at the time. The marshmallows melted into nothing, but I think more 'mallows would work out ok.

I could see it working pretty well for breakfast sandwiches as well. A couple slices of bread, an egg, and some cheese, and away you go. Maybe add some precooked sausage, bacon, or ham too.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Also, I just use butter on the bread and nothing else. I never clean the things past wipeing them out and have not had issues with sticking or general grossness. I think it helps keep the rust off as well because I have never had a problem with that either.

I had a new one when we camped though because I lost my old one. Not sure if I loaned it to someone or something or what. It's not like a new one was that pricey though.

·
Registered
891 Posts
My favorite thing to make is breakfast sandwiches - toast (the bread), egg, cheese.
I was not impressed with pie iron s'mores - the traditional way is best.
The only disaster I've had was trying to make pizza - the sauce & cheese leaked and made a huge mess and it didn't taste good either.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
My favorite thing to make is breakfast sandwiches - toast (the bread), egg, cheese.
I was not impressed with pie iron s'mores - the traditional way is best.
The only disaster I've had was trying to make pizza - the sauce & cheese leaked and made a huge mess and it didn't taste good either.
Try tomato paste instead of sauce.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts