New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you do? or maybe...what should I do?

Let's say you carry all the time, or you only carry when you know you won't be picking up the kid(s) from school. You get a call from school and your kid is sick and needs to be picked up. How do you go about it? I can think of a few ways, but none seem optimal.

1: Ignore the law and carry to school. (who's gonna know attitude)
2: Lock it in the car and go in the school. (the vehicle is still parked on school property)
3: Lock it in the car and park off site. How far? (our school is surrounded by fields so this would make people suspicious of me. as in "why the hell did he park way over there?")
4: go home first, passing the school on the way, then come back and get the kid. (wasting gas and time)
5: what haven't I thought of?

I don't have my holster yet so my gun is at home. Just planning for the future.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think your only senseable option is #3,4 without jeopardizing your right to carry if caught along with legal action brought against you.

·
Registered
859 Posts
The law says you cannot have it on school grounds at all so dont do it. Its also against the law to carry within a certain number number of feet of a school so you have to be careful there as well. Best bet, leave it home. Next best bet, unstrap at work or where ever it is before you pick up the little ones, secure it in the truck and dont open the trunk. BUT, leaving it home is the best bet.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hypothetically, where would you be recieving this call? While your at work? At home? ....If your at home, you could leave it there for a few mins. If your allowed to carry while you work, and If it were me, and I have done this before....unchamber a round, remove magazine, place pistol in holster locked in center console, and magazine locked in my truck toolbox...and use your head...dont park all wacky, or block a fire lane where you are drawing attention....the difference for me, is at my kids school, I can park on the street...just feet from school property...but I wont step foot in the office to sign them out while carrying.

We all know schools are a huge...huge..huge no-no for carrying.....heck, I was in class at FLCC when the guy got arrested for having a pistol locked in his trunk. No matter how you feel about the matter, and beleive me, Id love to be able to carry everywhere, there is no changing the rules......yet.

Jeff (teet)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
5: what haven't I thought of?
Have the spouse go collect the child?
Have a trusted relative or freind go collect the child?
(our schools used to have a form you could fill out at the beginning of the year that gave them a list of folks you trusted to get your kid if neccisary)

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Its also against the law to carry within a certain number number of feet of a school so you have to be careful there as well.
Huh? The only law I'm aware of that limits this is the Federal gun free school zones act and that law exempts you if you have a carry license issued by the state the school zone is in. As far as I know it is perfectly legal to walk right up to the property line while carrying, assuming of course that you have a carry license.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Huh? The only law I'm aware of that limits this is the Federal gun free school zones act and that law exempts you if you have a carry license issued by the state the school zone is in. As far as I know it is perfectly legal to walk right up to the property line while carrying, assuming of course that you have a carry license.
True-- from NYPL

§ 265.01 Criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree. Sub. 3

(3) He or she knowingly has in his or her possession a rifle, shotgun
or firearm in or upon a building or grounds, used for educational
purposes, of any school, college or university, except the forestry
lands, wherever located, owned and maintained by the State University of
New York college of environmental science and forestry, or upon a school
bus as defined in section one hundred forty-two of the vehicle and
traffic law, without the written authorization of such educational
institution

Criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree is a class A
misdemeanor.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hypothetically, where would you be recieving this call?
I'd be at work. It would be in my nature to follow the law, no matter how stupid it is. So #s1 & 2 are out. I might be able to park off site. Is it 1000 feet from the property line or the building? Then I'd have to check the county maps to see how many of those fields belong to the school. Maybe I should get a safe-deposit-box in the bank that's a mile from the school.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do have my carry license. So can I park on the street? well, side of the rural road where you would park if you had a flat?

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
So can I park on the street? well, side of the rural road where you would park if you had a flat?
I am not a lawyer but to the best of my knowledge you can do this. If someone can find a law that says otherwise I'd be interested in reading it.

Obviously you need to use some common sense. If the high school kiddies see you unholster your firearm and stash it in the glove box you are just begging for trouble. I would handle your hypotheical scenario by locking the firearm in a lockbox or the trunk before heading over to the school; then park offsite somewhere. In this manner you don't have to worry about anybody seeing you mess around with the firearm nor do you have to do the unholstering dance in front of teachers and students. It's just another car parked near school and nobody will think twice about it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I kinda like the safety deposit box idea,it could come in handi in other circumstances,providing the bank with the deposit boxes isn't posted against firearm's. Also the school should'nt expect you to be there in the blink of an eye,your child is safe and you'll get there when you do,so if it's not to far out of your way just drive home. Other contacts from the list you turn in to the school is good too. There are way's around taking it onto school ground's,so if caught there is no real excuse.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am not a lawyer but to the best of my knowledge you can do this. If someone can find a law that says otherwise I'd be interested in reading it.

Obviously you need to use some common sense. If the high school kiddies see you unholster your firearm and stash it in the glove box you are just begging for trouble. I would handle your hypotheical scenario by locking the firearm in a lockbox or the trunk before heading over to the school; then park offsite somewhere. In this manner you don't have to worry about anybody seeing you mess around with the firearm nor do you have to do the unholstering dance in front of teachers and students. It's just another car parked near school and nobody will think twice about it.
everything you said makes sense. Except this " It's just another car parked near school and nobody will think twice about it." It made me laugh. I wouldn't expect you to know this though. A car parked near school, but not on school property would be severely out of place.

clicky the picture to see the humor.
offschoolparking.JPG

there's nothing around.

·
Registered
77 Posts
True-- from NYPL

§ 265.01 Criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree. Sub. 3

(3) He or she knowingly has in his or her possession a rifle, shotgun
or firearm in or upon a building or grounds, used for educational
purposes, of any school, college or university, except the forestry
lands, wherever located, owned and maintained by the State University of
New York college of environmental science and forestry, or upon a school
bus as defined in section one hundred forty-two of the vehicle and
traffic law,
without the written authorization of such educational
institution

Criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree is a class A
misdemeanor.

So what do you think the odds of my getting a educational institution ( I work for a SUNY campus) to write me an authorization... I'm thinking asking for one would put me on a list...

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I will never advocate breaking a law but I can bet that a lot of legal concealed carriers have just secured the firearm out of sight in their vehicle, gone and picked up their kid, and left without any incidents.

You cannot overthink this stuff. Discretion and being sensible will work.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Discretion and being sensible will work.
for the most part...I just would be concerned about the random day I do that and they have the sniffer dog there the same day. If he goes off on my truck, I can't expect the law, DA, judge, parents or administrators to agree that 'I' was the one being sensible. That would be my luck.

·
Registered
859 Posts
My mistake, I forgot the exemption was there. In states where you dont have a permit but carry is allowed you have a problem. My bad, it was a Monday. :)

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
When you are near the school, call them explain the issue and tell them to send the kids out. If they protest then go the extra steps to avoid the anti gun school system. My kids school offered me that option when i hurt my back. If you let them know the issue they might be sympathetic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
everything you said makes sense. Except this " It's just another car parked near school and nobody will think twice about it." It made me laugh. I wouldn't expect you to know this though. A car parked near school, but not on school property would be severely out of place.

clicky the picture to see the humor.
View attachment 2495

there's nothing around.

My kids go to that school also. LOL

I have a permit but dont have anything to conceal carry yet. So I could be having this same problem.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My kids go to that school also. LOL

I have a permit but dont have anything to conceal carry yet. So I could be having this same problem.
Maybe if we BOTH park out by they road, they won't notice us. LOL

·
Registered
14 Posts
Maybe ask the farmer near by if you could use a laneway to park in a emergency? Truck in a field doesnt look out of place around this area?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts