New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've been wanting a .22lr/.22mag revolver for a while now and was figuring I was going to have to settle for one of the off brand models instead of the Ruger like I wanted. A friend called me up and told me his neighbor was going to be selling his Ruger Single Six Convertible and would I be interested in it if he did. I said hell yeah, and am getting it at what I consider a very decent price.
It is a 6 1/2" blued model with wood grips, and the serial number puts it around 98 or 99 production.
I am also trying to work him out of his wife's Single Six which is I believe the 4 5/8" barrel model.

Air gun Trigger Revolver Wood Gun barrel
I get to pick this up, along with an old Iver Johnson 2nd model black powder .38S&W that I bought a little while ago. Seems like the revolver bug has bitten me. I will now have 3 revolvers and 2 semiauto's.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I have the same one just cowboy sights. I love that pistol. I carry it while I'm mowing my lawn. I usually carry it with 3 .22 shot and 3 stingers. I shot a woodchuck with the .22 mag cylinder in. Shot a few snakes while mowing the yard. It's a great pistol to shoot very fun!

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
The Single-Sixes are great little 22 caliber revolvers. I've had two of them and I need to get another. I started out with a blued Single-Six with a stainless 22mag cylinder and blue 22lr cylinder. I sold it and bought the satinless Single-Six with a 5 1/2" barrel. My son lives back there in Upstate New York and wanted a stainless model Single-Six so he sold his blued Single-Six and got mine. So it's time to buy another one. I've shot a bunch of stuff with both of the ones I had.

When shooting it pick up several types of ammo both Long Rifle and Magnum and see what's the most accurate for you. There is a big differance in accuracy with the different loads.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Ruger fan also!!

The first handgun on my license was the Ruger Single-Six Hunter Convertible!x That was back in 06. That was the beginning of my appreciation of Ruger Firearms, Mark II, Security Six,10/22's 77/22, Mini 14's Ruger American 22lr, and just this spring a 96/22 and I have been seen fondling the Gunsite Scout resently

Attachments

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Sold my Single Six in .17HMR a while ago, fun accurate pistol. You sure the .38 S&W is black powder? It's not that hard to find in smokeless.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I went to the local Cabelas this morning looking for 22lr ammo, No 22 but I did get a box of Remington 10mm so I can soot thev Glock I picked up about a month ago.

They have a used Single-Six with both cylinders and a 5 1/2" barrel for $499, way to much in my opinion when I can buy a brand new one at Skagit arms or only $519.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You sure the .38 S&W is black powder? It's not that hard to find in smokeless.
Yeah it's a second model Iver Johnson, I kind of bid on it without even looking at it. I probably won't shoot it very often anyways, but at least I do have a set of reloading dies for it that I bought before I got my permit, but that was because they were on a tray lot with another set of dies.

I actually picked this Ruger up for $225, and will try and get the guy to sell me his wife's pistol for the same amount or maybe less if I can talk him out of it. This one has less than 100rds through it and his wife's my friend thinks has never been fired.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts