New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After finally getting my NYC rifle/shotgun permit, I brought in my Maverick 88 to register, but the old bill of sale didn't have "5 round capacity" listed on it so the office denied it. The seller is 4 hours away. So instead I found this. Had an attempted break in the night I brought home the Maverick, but the intruder broke an ashtray on the fire escape seconds before I made it to the living room and took off across the rooftops. Wife gave the financial OK for a new HD gun, so here we are.

I believe it was manufactured sometime between 1983-1987. Mossberg 500 ATP, 5 rounder. Too bad it isn't the USMC version with the bayo lug, I believe that version only came in a 7+1. Sling and buttstock shell holder are Specter Gear.

Attachments

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's hoping I will always be ready to fight, but never having to.

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The permit office staffers know less about weapons than the NY state legislators, which is saying something. If it isn't in writing they won't hear it. I'll probably try again in 3 months when I can register again. But then, I hope to bring in either my 10/22 or my dad's Mauser 98.

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Now at least even if they have a pistol...they will quickly realize they are way out gunned. May it NEVER be necessary for you to have to use it. What ammo are you using? You in an apartment I presume?

· Registered
2,534 Posts
OK, there has been something stuck in my craw since day one of this thread.
I even wrote a few replies between then and now but didn't submit but now I just can't take it anymore so here goes:

WHY did it take an actual attempt at a break in to finally promt enough to persue getting a HD/SD gun?
Thats like getting your first extiguisher after the house caught fire and almost burnt to the ground.

Where might miss be today if you weren't home to scare the intuder off, pushing the panic button on the ADT or Time Warner 'security' system right up til the beatdown or worse started?

There now I feel better. Carry on.

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think drock knew where I was going with my questions.
#9 at the ready, 00 on standby. These walls are paper thin in this building, I truly hope no projectiles ever need to fly here.

OK, there has been something stuck in my craw since day one of this thread.
I even wrote a few replies between then and now but didn't submit but now I just can't take it anymore so here goes:

WHY did it take an actual attempt at a break in to finally promt enough to persue getting a HD/SD gun?
Thats like getting your first extiguisher after the house caught fire and almost burnt to the ground.

Where might miss be today if you weren't home to scare the intuder off, pushing the panic button on the ADT or Time Warner 'security' system right up til the beatdown or worse started?

There now I feel better. Carry on.
Thanks for bringing that up. It wasn't the break in that made me want to purchase a firearm immediately. If you recall in the OP I actually had a firearm at home with me the night of the break-in, but was informed later that the paperwork was not in order preferred by the permit office. I've been a gun owner since I was a kid, but it has taken me 6 1/2 months to legally own one in NYC. My rifles/shotgun stored outside the city don't do me any good for thieves.

Rereading the post I can see some confusion about time frames, so I can clear that up. I received my permit on a Friday, brought my shotgun in that day, and the break-in attempt happened that Sunday.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.