New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know why I'm so in love with this ridiculous little gun, but I like it even better in hand than I did in the auction pics. It's a Fabrique D'Armes De Guerre De Grande Precision "Libia", which was actually made by Beistegui Hermanos of Eibar, Spain (who had to stop making guns when the Spanish Civil War broke out, but who are now a quality bicycle manufacturer - see bhbikes-us.com.) This was a copy (rip off) of the FN (Browning) model 1906 that the Colt model 1908 was a copy of. It's just a little smaller than both of those guns, with a slightly shorter barrel and shorter grip frame. I haven't shot it yet (still don't have any .25 ACP) but this little guy is REALLY hard to get a hold of. You truly cannot get more than one finger on the grip. It's all steel, so it feels solid, and for a gun made in 1920, it looks to be in very good condition. The bore is beautiful. There were lots of lesser quality pocket pistols produced in Spain between the World Wars, but this little guy isn't one of them. It looks to be a quality copy of the FN, including the seer-safety rather than the typical Spanish pistol's trigger safety. I look forward to shooting a few mags (6 shots) through it, but even before that I'll be stripping and cleaning it. I mean, I got it for a toy, after all, shooting is secondary with this tiny thing. I've heard one of these referred to as a "Noisy Cricket", and I expect it is surprisingly hard to hang onto for a tiny caliber.

I did my transfer through Robert Haak in Marion again, always a pleasure to deal with, and only $15. I'm in Monroe County, but just barely, and I can be at his door in less than 15 minutes (12 is my best time.) With my tight budget, a low transfer fee is a necessity.

I found a great YouTube video of a Colt 1908 detail strip, which applies very well to this little guy: Colt 1908 Vest Pocket Pistol Calibre 25 Field Strip - YouTube

I'd really like to add an Astra Cub to my collection next, but prices of those are starting to get up there. I'd like the exposed hammer of the Cub, I wish there was a good way to "de-cock" the Libia, because even with the grip safety, I don't know if I'd trust this little striker-fired gun with a round in the chamber! Certainly not an ideal CCW piece, particularly if carried with an empty chamber. That's not what this pistol is about, anyway, it's really just a nice piece of history I can hold in my hands, and I've had great fun researching its pedigree while awaiting its arrival. For carry, I'll stick to my CZ RAMI in 9mm!

I'll have to take some better pics and post them up soon.

Scott in Penfield

Attachments

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Nice. Awesome history lesson too.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got some pics of my little gun, love this little thing!

Libia Pistol Left Side by 80sDweeb

Libia Pistol Left Side 2 by 80sDweeb

Libia left side by 80sDweeb

Libia right side by 80sDweeb

Libia slide left side by 80sDweeb

Libia right side magazine by 80sDweeb

Christmas has obliterated my ammo budget, so it will be a while before I can get some .25 ACP (or, ahem, 6.35mm as this pistol calls for) and see how she functions, and I'm feeling impatient!

I spend a lot of time holding it, and playing with it, and my family are shaking their heads...

Scott in Penfield

·
Registered
905 Posts
right from the heart of basque country spain. a neat old gun. it seems over the years the spanish gun makers either built some pretty good ones or not so good ones. i think you got one of the good ones. just one of the popular old "vest pocket" guns of the era. if you want to save the springs a little during storage and want to let the hammer down maybe you could find a piece of wood dowel to put down the bbl to cushion the firing pin strike on firing. might not hurt looking for a few replacement parts if you plan on keeping a while. things only dry up as time passes. looks like a lil cutie, wish they could talk. just as a side note, i have a friend who has lived in spain for the past 38 years. he say's the basque's throw stones at one and other just for fun. they are a bit of a radical separatists region.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts